Tensor Products - Dummit and Foote - Section 10-4, pages 359 - 362

In summary: To understand this better, you might try writing out the elements of ##S\otimes N## in a "matrix form".
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
In Dummit and Foote, Section 10.4: Tensor Products of Modules, on pages 359 - 364 (see attachment) the authors deal with a process of 'extension of scalars' of a module, whereby we construct a left \(\displaystyle S\)-module \(\displaystyle S \oplus_R N \) from an \(\displaystyle R\)-module \(\displaystyle N\). In this construction the unital ring \(\displaystyle R\) is a subring of the unital ring \(\displaystyle S\). (For a detailed description of this construction see the attachment pages 359 - 361 or see D&F Section 10.4)

To construct \(\displaystyle S \oplus_R N \) take the abelian group \(\displaystyle N\) together with a map from \(\displaystyle S \times N \) to \(\displaystyle N\), where the image of the pair (s,n) is denoted by sn.

D&F then argue that it is "natural" (but why is it natural?) to consider the free \(\displaystyle \mathbb{Z} \)-module (the free abelian group) on the set \(\displaystyle S \times N \) - that is, the collection of all finite commuting sums of elements of the form \(\displaystyle (s_i, n_i) \) where \(\displaystyle s_i \in S \) and \(\displaystyle n_i \in N \).

To satisfy the relations necessary to attain an S-module structure, D&F argue that we must take the quotient of this abelian group by the subgroup H generated by all elements of the form:

\(\displaystyle (s_1 + s_2, n) - (s_1, n) - (s_2, n) \)

\(\displaystyle (s, n_1 + n_2) - (s, n_1) - (s, n_2)\)

\(\displaystyle (sr,n) - (s, rn) \)

for \(\displaystyle s, s_1, s_2 \in S, n, n_1, n_2 \in N \) and \(\displaystyle r \in R \) where rn in the last element refers to the R-module structure already defined on N.

The resulting quotient group is denoted by \(\displaystyle S \oplus_R N \) and is called the tensor product of S and N over R.

If \(\displaystyle s \oplus n \) denotes the coset containing (s,n) then by definition of the quotient we have forced the relations:

\(\displaystyle (s_1 + s_2) \oplus n = s_1 \oplus n + s_2 \oplus n \)

\(\displaystyle s \oplus (n_1 + n_2) = s \oplus n_1 + s \oplus n_2 \)

\(\displaystyle sr \oplus n = s \oplus rn \)

The elements of \(\displaystyle S \oplus_R N \) are called tensors and can be written (non-uniquely in general) as finite sums of "simple tensors" of the form \(\displaystyle s \oplus n \).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Issues/Problems

Issue/Problem (1)

I am having real trouble understanding/visualizing the nature and character of the cosets of the quotient group defined above - I would really like to get a tangible and concrete view of the nature of the cosets. Can someone help in this matter either by general explanation and/or a concrete example.

(I can see in the case of a quotient group like \(\displaystyle \mathbb{Z}/\mathbb{5Z} \) that the cosets are clearly \(\displaystyle 0 + 5 \mathbb{Z}, 1 + 5 \mathbb{Z}, 2 + 5 \mathbb{Z}, 3 + 5 \mathbb{Z}, 4 + 5 \mathbb{Z}\), and that x and y are in the same coset if x - y is divisible by 5 - but I cannot get the same feeling for and understanding of the cosets of \(\displaystyle s \oplus n \))

I really hope someone can help make the nature of the cosets a little clearer. Certainly no texts or online notes attempt top make this clearer for the student/reader ... nor do they give helpful examples ...Issue/Problem 2

D&F state that:

"by definition of the quotient we have forced the relations:

\(\displaystyle (s_1 + s_2) \oplus n = s_1 \oplus n + s_2 \oplus n \)

\(\displaystyle s \oplus (n_1 + n_2) = s \oplus n_1 + s \oplus n_2)\)

\(\displaystyle sr \oplus n) = s \oplus rn \).

My question is, how exactly, does taking the quotient of the abelian group N by the subgroup H generated by all elements of the form:

\(\displaystyle s_1 + s_2, n) - (s_1, n) - (s_2, n) \)

\(\displaystyle (s, n_1 + n_2) - (s, n_1) - (s, n_2)\)

\(\displaystyle (sr,n) - (s, rn) \)

guarantee or force the relations required?

I would be really grateful if someone can help. Again, as with issue/problem 1 no text or online notes have given a good explanation of this matter.

Peter

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you want to better understand cosets (and for that matter, quotient groups) consider reading through sections of Gallian's Contemporary Abstract Algebra. Note that the symbol for tensor product is ##\otimes##, not ##\oplus##.

If ##s_1, s_2\in S## and ##n\in N##, then ##(s_1 + s_2, n) - (s_1,n) - (s_2,n)## belongs to ##H##, and therefore the coset ##(s_1 + s_2,n) + H## equals the coset ##(s_1,n) + (s_2,n) + H##. Now ##(s_1,n) + (s_2,n) + H = [(s_1,n) + H] + [(s_2,n) + H]##, so that $$(s_1 + s_2,n) + H = [(s_1,n) + H] + [(s_2,n) + H]$$ In other words, $$(s_1 + s_2)\otimes n = s_1 \otimes n + s_2\otimes n$$ Similarly the other two tensor equations hold.

Likes Math Amateur and Greg Bernhardt

1. What is a tensor product?

A tensor product is a mathematical operation that combines two vector spaces to create a new vector space. It is denoted by the symbol ⊗ and is used to represent the combination of two vectors or matrices into a new vector or matrix.

2. How is a tensor product defined?

The tensor product of two vector spaces V and W is defined as the set of all possible linear combinations of the elements of V and W. This means that the elements of the tensor product are formed by taking one element from V and one element from W and combining them in a specific way.

3. What is the significance of tensor products in mathematics?

Tensor products are significant in mathematics because they allow for the representation of mathematical structures in a more general and abstract way. They are used in a variety of areas, including linear algebra, differential geometry, and representation theory.

4. How is the tensor product related to the direct product?

The tensor product is a generalization of the direct product. While the direct product combines elements from two sets, the tensor product combines elements from two vector spaces. In other words, the direct product is a special case of the tensor product.

5. Can the tensor product be extended to more than two vector spaces?

Yes, the tensor product can be extended to more than two vector spaces. In fact, the tensor product of n vector spaces is defined as the set of all possible linear combinations of the elements of the n vector spaces. However, for simplicity, the discussion in Dummit and Foote is limited to the tensor product of two vector spaces.