What are limitations of work energy theorem ?

In summary, the work-energy theorem states that the total energy of a rigid object remains constant, even if some of that energy is used to move the object. However, there are some limitations to this theorem, including that it does not define the direction of velocity and does not define spontaneity of process. Additionally, the work-energy theorem does not account for energy loss due to sound, heat, or other forms of energy.
vkash
what are the limitation work energy theorem ?
this theorem is very helpful in solving questions. But I think there are some limitations of this bold theorem. that is
(1) does not define the direction of velocity &
(2) does not define spontaneity of process, like say there is an body on the floor, assume it's Potential energy to be zero(PEi) if we say that without any external force it attains height h and specific kinetic energy which sums(KEf+PEf) to be zero(PEi). Finally we can say that initial PEi= final KEf+final PEf. there is nothing in these statements according to conservation of energy / work energy theorem but even a child can say from his/her common sense that it is impossible.

My question is
is my second reason correct?
&
what are other limitation of this theorem?
&
differentiate between work energy theorem and conservation of energy.
work energy theorem seems to be derived from law of conservation of energy.

Physics news on Phys.org
vkash said:
what are the limitation work energy theorem ?
this theorem is very helpful in solving questions. But I think there are some limitations of this bold theorem. that is
(1) does not define the direction of velocity &
(2) does not define spontaneity of process, like say there is an body on the floor, assume it's Potential energy to be zero(PEi) if we say that without any external force it attains height h and specific kinetic energy which sums(KEf+PEf) to be zero(PEi). Finally we can say that initial PEi= final KEf+final PEf. there is nothing in these statements according to conservation of energy / work energy theorem but even a child can say from his/her common sense that it is impossible.

My question is
is my second reason correct?
&
what are other limitation of this theorem?
&
differentiate between work energy theorem and conservation of energy.
work energy theorem seems to be derived from law of conservation of energy.

If it's on the floor and has no potential energy (and presumably no kinetic energy) then how is it getting to some height h? Is there some initial Kinetic Energy?

As to the work-energy theorem. The conservation of energy is the most infallible and fundamental tenets of physics. However, in the world of blocks and springs the truth of the work-energy theorem relies on this notion of a "rigid object" an infinitely incompressible thing. Obviously there is no such thing in reality, so if you're bouncing a ball or some such you're going to bleed energy into deforming the ball, heating it up, heating up the air, sound, etc. However, if you took that same system, closed it off (allowed no energy to enter or leave) and looked at everything at the level of atoms interacting with each other. The energy would be 100.000000% conserved.

Steger said:
If it's on the floor and has no potential energy (and presumably no kinetic energy) then how is it getting to some height h? Is there some initial Kinetic Energy?
I want to say that, work energy theorem will not disobey if something like that occurs(as in 2nd point) since final and initial energies are same. do you got the point?
Actually it does not disobey conservation of energy (keeping Einstein laws aside) but it disobeys general thing we see around us.

vkash said:
I want to say that, work energy theorem will not disobey if something like that occurs(as in 2nd point) since final and initial energies are same. do you got the point?
Actually it does not disobey conservation of energy (keeping Einstein laws aside) but it disobeys general thing we see around us.

I'm afraid I really can't understand the situation you're trying to describe, there's a bit of a language barrier. You say there's a ball, on the floor, with no potential energy (and you say nothing about its kinetic energy), then suddenly it's at a height h. How is this happening? If it has no potential energy and no kinetic energy then it just sits there.

Steger said:
I'm afraid I really can't understand the situation you're trying to describe, there's a bit of a language barrier. You say there's a ball, on the floor, with no potential energy (and you say nothing about its kinetic energy), then suddenly it's at a height h. How is this happening? If it has no potential energy and no kinetic energy then it just sits there.
initially the ball is at the floor and have no kinetics energy see attachment that may help.It seems that here law of conservation energy giving wrong answer(single law can't define all the things). Is my explanation that it is limitation of Work Energy Theorem correct?

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    7.1 KB · Views: 696
What you are saying is wrong. If the ball goes up its potential energy goes up (becomes positive), not down. Since kinetic energy is always non-negative, there is no kinetic energy that will make the total energy zero.

vkash said:
initially the ball is at the floor and have no kinetics energy see attachment that may help.It seems that here law of conservation energy giving wrong answer(single law can't define all the things). Is my explanation that it is limitation of Work Energy Theorem correct?

Just because two states have the same energy has nothing to do with whether the system will MOVE between the two states. A system moves along a path that minimizes its energy (essentially) at every instant. The two states you showed would NOT be connected by such a path so the system can't move between them. In order to give a ball that height work must be done on it, against gravity (as Halls_of_Ivy points out the change in potential energy from the ground can't be negative for this point). However, what you describe DOES describe a ball AT height 0 being dropped to the ground at (-h). In which case the motion does occur.

Last edited:
work to move ball from ground(h=0) to height h=x is -mg(x-0) (negative sign because force is in downward and motion is in upward). give it some kinetic energy so that total energy sums 0.Is it not now have 0 energy like initial position.

steger you say A system moves along a path that minimizes its energy (essentially) at every instant. I think you should add one more word that is potential energy. A system tries to have minimum potential energy(not kinetic).If i am wrong then tell me.
I like your point that two states have the same energy has nothing to do with whether the system will MOVE between the two states. Just before last reply i made i was thinking about it

vkash said:
work to move ball from ground(h=0) to height h=x is -mg(x-0) (negative sign because force is in downward and motion is in upward). give it some kinetic energy so that total energy sums 0.Is it not now have 0 energy like initial position.

steger you say A system moves along a path that minimizes its energy (essentially) at every instant. I think you should add one more word that is potential energy. A system tries to have minimum potential energy(not kinetic).If i am wrong then tell me.
I like your point that two states have the same energy has nothing to do with whether the system will MOVE between the two states. Just before last reply i made i was thinking about it

You are quite correct, the potential energy is dependent on position where the kinetic energy is not (at least not directly). Therefore, minimizing potential energy will give you the particles route through space. What I was hinting at was something called the Principle of Least (or, more correctly, Extremal) Action, which is really the central core of all of physics from which pretty much everything can be derived.

What are limitations of work energy theorem ?

The work energy theorem is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the net work done on an object is equal to its change in kinetic energy. However, there are certain limitations to this theorem that should be considered.

1. What types of energy are not accounted for by the work energy theorem?

The work energy theorem only accounts for changes in kinetic energy. It does not take into account potential energy, thermal energy, or other forms of energy that may be present in a system. This means that the work energy theorem may not accurately describe the overall energy changes in a system.

2. Can the work energy theorem be applied to non-conservative forces?

No, the work energy theorem can only be applied to conservative forces, which are those that do not depend on the path taken by the object. Non-conservative forces, such as friction, cannot be accounted for by the work energy theorem as they depend on the path taken and not just the initial and final positions of the object.

3. Are there any assumptions made by the work energy theorem?

Yes, the work energy theorem assumes that the forces acting on an object are constant and that there are no external forces acting on the system. If these assumptions do not hold true, then the work energy theorem may not accurately describe the energy changes in the system.

4. Can the work energy theorem be used to determine the exact path of an object?

No, the work energy theorem does not provide information about the path of an object, only the overall change in kinetic energy. In order to determine the exact path of an object, other principles such as Newton's laws of motion must be used.

5. Are there any real-life situations where the work energy theorem may not apply?

Yes, the work energy theorem may not apply in situations where there is a transfer of energy between different forms or when energy is lost due to factors such as air resistance or friction. In these cases, the work energy theorem may not accurately describe the energy changes in the system.