What are local and non-local operators in QM?

In summary, the Fock operator in the Hartree-Fock method has two integrals, the Coulomb integral and the exchange integral. The exchange operator is a non-local operator because it changes the sign of the entire wavefunction when exchanging two electrons, which comes from the anticommutation of fermions. This also leads to the non-locality of fermions in general and the conservation of Fermion parity. The exchange process is important in the Hartree-Fock method as it favors electrons of the same spin to be separated, in accordance with the Pauli exclusion principle.
cristianbahena
In Hartree-Fock method, I saw the Fock operator has two integrals: Coulomb integral and exchange integral. One can define two operator. "The exchange operator is no local operator" why? Whats de diference: local and no local operator?

And why do the operators have singularities?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
A general one-particle operator ##A## can be defined via it's action on a wavefunction in position representation
##\{A\psi\}(r)=\int d^3r' \alpha(r,r') \psi(r')##.
The function ##\alpha(r,r')## is called the kernel of the operator.
When ##\alpha(r,r')=f(r)\delta^3(r-r')##, with Dirac's delta function, we say that the operator is local.
Obviously, the position operator is local with f(r)=r, while for example, the momentum operator is not local as
##\alpha(r,r') =-i\hbar \partial_r \delta(r-r')##.

Likes bhobba, Tio Barnabe, dextercioby and 1 other person
DrDu said:
A general one-particle operator ##A## can be defined via it's action on a wavefunction in position representation
##\{A\psi\}(r)=\int d^3r' \alpha(r,r') \psi(r')##.
The function ##\alpha(r,r')## is called the kernel of the operator.
When ##\alpha(r,r')=f(r)\delta^3(r-r')##, with Dirac's delta function, we say that the operator is local.
Obviously, the position operator is local with f(r)=r, while for example, the momentum operator is not local as
##\alpha(r,r') =-i\hbar \partial_r \delta(r-r')##.
Sorry my ignorance, but what should result application of the position operator into the wavefunction as given above?

Tio Barnabe said:
Sorry my ignorance, but what should result application of the position operator into the wavefunction as given above?
The wavefunction gets multiplied at each point with the respective value of r.

Likes Tio Barnabe
cristianbahena said:
In Hartree-Fock method, I saw the Fock operator has two integrals: Coulomb integral and exchange integral. One can define two operator. "The exchange operator is no local operator" why? Whats de diference: local and no local operator?

And why do the operators have singularities?

thanks

When F(r)= r
One get:

$${A \phi}(r)= r \phi{r}(r)$$ its a eigenvalue equation
when $$f(r)= -i \hbar \partial_r$$

One get:

$${A \phi}(r)= -i \hbar \partial_r \phi{r}(r)$$ it has no sense.
is the why is local or no local
am i right?

Note: i´m using $$A\phi (r)= \int dr´\phi(r) \alpha(r-r´) \phi(r´)$$

The exchange term favors electrons of the same spin to be separated and comes directly from the Pauli exclusion principle. This comes from the anticommutation of fermions (i.e. the antisymmetry of the wavefunction). The exchange process is inherently non local since exchanging any two electrons changes the sign of the entire many body wavefunction.

More generally, you can say that fermions in general are non local because they anticommutate. In a sense they carry a string of minus signs. Another thing is that Fermion parity (even or odd) is always conserved which comes from this. There are a lot very deep consequences of this beyond this discussion.

Likes dextercioby

What are local and non-local operators in QM?

Local and non-local operators are terms used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of physical quantities in a system. Local operators are those that can be measured at a specific point in space and time, while non-local operators are those that are not restricted to a specific point and can affect the entire system.

How do local and non-local operators differ?

The main difference between local and non-local operators is their effect on a system. Local operators only have an impact on a small region of space and time, while non-local operators can act on the entire system. This means that local operators are more limited in their influence, while non-local operators have a broader reach.

What are some examples of local and non-local operators?

Some examples of local operators include the position and momentum operators, which determine the location and momentum of a particle at a specific point in space and time. Non-local operators, on the other hand, include the Hamiltonian operator, which describes the total energy of a system, and the spin operator, which describes the intrinsic angular momentum of a particle.

Why are local and non-local operators important in QM?

Local and non-local operators play a crucial role in quantum mechanics because they allow us to describe and understand the behavior of quantum systems. By using these operators, we can make predictions about the evolution of a system and the outcomes of measurements. Additionally, local and non-local operators help us to distinguish between classical and quantum systems.

How are local and non-local operators related to quantum entanglement?

Local and non-local operators are closely related to quantum entanglement, which describes the strong correlation between the states of two or more particles. Non-local operators are necessary to describe the entangled state of particles, as they can act on an entire system rather than just a single particle. This allows for the phenomenon of quantum entanglement, which has been proven to exist through various experiments.