Chances of Getting Into Grad Schools: Physics Major

• Admissions
  • Thread starter mzlk76
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chances
In summary, the speaker is a physics major graduating in May of 2017 and is looking at graduate schools in EE/applied physics with a focus on imaging and optics. They have a strong GPA and minor in math and EE, but have yet to take the pGRE. They have two summer internships in astrophysics and at a national lab, as well as several publications and awards. The speaker is wondering what caliber of schools they should apply to and how many programs they should apply for. The expert summary suggests that the speaker should have no problem getting into a school they are interested in and advises them to focus on their research goals and interests in their application. They recommend applying to at least 3 programs.
mzlk76
Hi All.

I'm a physics major graduating in May of 2017, and I'm starting to look at graduate schools.
I'll most likely be applying to EE/applied physics (mostly EE) graduate schools with a focus on imaging and optics and amo, I'd just like an input on what my chances are at some top schools.

I have a ~> 3.9 overall GPA and a ~3.9 physics GPA and a minor in math and ee. I have yet to take the pGRE but on practice tests I've consistently been scoring in the 65th-70th percentiles, but I tend to do somewhat worse during the "real" tests. I plan to study a bit more during the summer to see if I can improve my score (I know EE doesn't care about pGRE, but I'd still like to apply to some physics programs). I'm not too worried about the general GRE.

I'm graduating in 3 years, so I'll only have two summer internships - one in astrophysics and one at a national lab (mech-e R&D, but I'll be doing mostly imaging/optical modeling).

I have 2-3 very strong letters of recommendation, and 1 fairly strong letter.

1 second author pub in astrophysics (+1 pending, I have no idea whether or not it will get published before I apply for graduate schools).
2 second author pubs in microscopy
1 first author pub in optics (submitting in the next two weeks, fairly certain it will get published before I apply to grad school).

I may or may not have 1-2 more publications before I apply for graduate schools depending on how the internship and next semester go.

I'm a Goldwater honorable mention, and have two internal undergraduate research awards.

What caliber schools would accept me? Should I be applying for schools like mit/cal-t/Rochester or aim lower? Also what is a good number of grad programs to apply for?

Thank you for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
It sounds to me like you should have no problem getting into a school you are interested in. Remember, grad school isn't about what you have done, it is about what you will do. After having some internships and research experience, you should be able to write a very strong letter of intent to the program you choose. As long as you meet the minimum requirements of the school for filters like GRE or GPA, the rest of the process is simply convincing them that you will be a productive member of their research team.
Pick a program that lines up with your experience and interests, clearly state your research goals and why the program you choose will be the best place for you to grow, learn and contribute.
Personally, I would recommend applying to at least 3 programs. One you hope to get into, one your think you can get into, and one you are sure you can get into.

1. What GPA do I need to have in order to get into a physics graduate program?

The GPA requirement for graduate programs in physics varies depending on the specific school and program. Generally, a GPA of 3.0 or higher is considered competitive for admission. However, some top-tier programs may have a higher GPA requirement of 3.5 or above. It is important to research the specific requirements of the programs you are interested in before applying.

2. Is research experience necessary for getting into a physics graduate program?

Research experience is highly valued in physics graduate programs, but it is not always a requirement for admission. It can be beneficial to have research experience, as it shows your dedication and interest in the field. However, if you do not have research experience, you can still demonstrate your passion and potential through other aspects of your application such as strong letters of recommendation and a compelling personal statement.

3. How important are my GRE scores for getting into a physics graduate program?

While GRE scores are an important aspect of your application, they are not the only factor that admissions committees consider. Your undergraduate coursework, research experience, letters of recommendation, and personal statement are all taken into account. However, it is still recommended to aim for a high score on the GRE to make your application more competitive.

4. What can I do to improve my chances of getting into a physics graduate program?

Aside from maintaining a strong GPA and GRE score, there are a few things you can do to improve your chances of getting into a physics graduate program. These include participating in research, seeking out strong letters of recommendation, and taking challenging coursework in your undergraduate studies. Additionally, it can be helpful to attend conferences or present your research at a poster session to showcase your work and network with potential graduate advisors.

5. Is it necessary to have a physics undergraduate degree to get into a physics graduate program?

While having a physics undergraduate degree is the most common path to a physics graduate program, it is not always necessary. Some programs may accept students with a strong background in a related field, such as engineering or mathematics. In these cases, it is important to demonstrate your knowledge and interest in physics through your coursework and research experience. Additionally, you may need to take some prerequisite courses before starting the graduate program.