1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What are my odds? Sophomore Chemistry REU

1. Aug 17, 2011 #1
    Hi everyone,
    This summer I spent a lot of time looking at possible research sites for next summer. I was wondering if anyone out there could gauge the odds of me landing a research project.

I am entering the sophomore year at St. Olaf College (a small Liberal Arts school in Southern Minnesota). I am a Math/Chem double major with a Stats minor. I have a 3.82 GPA overall. I tested out of the General Chemistry class, got an A in Kinetics and Thermodynamics, and I will be taking Organic I next semester. In high school, I did some research at the University of St. Thomas, working one-on-one with an Analytical Chemistry professor for about two months.

Anyone like to venture a guess about my chances of getting a REU? Also, does anyone have any advice for getting in?

Thanks,
    Peter

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2011 #2
    Getting good letters of recommendation can be a big part of it.

4. Aug 18, 2011 #3
    At my school, we have different profs for class and lab. Which do you think it would be better to get recs from? I'm a little concerned that my professors don't know me well enough to write good recs because I did research with them. Is that a problem, do you think?

Peter

5. Aug 18, 2011 #4
    Are the lab instructors TAs? There are varying opinions on this, but if they are still students you may want to reconsider the prospect of using them for recs.

Also, I don't understand how these professors (who you say you did research for) don't know you (given that you did research for them)...If they gave you a shot at researching this early on, they must have some opinions about you; likely good ones. Is there someone (amongst the research hierarchy) who knows you better (perhaps a post-doc)?

edit: I didn't realize you are at a "small lib arts college" so the post-doc thing may not apply directly, but the idea remains.

6. Aug 18, 2011 #5
    My lab instructors are professors, so I might be able to use them as recs. I guess I'll just talk with them one-on-one to determine whether they think they can write a good letter.

I did my research at a different college during high school. I guess I could go for a rec from him, as the experience I had with him is most relevant. Are REUs ok with recommendations outside of your own institution?

7. Aug 18, 2011 #6
    I don't see why they wouldn't be okay with it.

8. Aug 18, 2011 #7
    So, would you, the wise ones who have gone through the applications before, say that if I apply to about 10 programs, I would have a good chance of getting into at least one? I will also be applying for some on-campus research and some non-REU sites. I really, really do not want to end up doing yard work for another summer...

9. Aug 18, 2011 #8
    Won't know until you try =]

However, I just want to say that If I was you I would be very cautious about sending recs from someone you worked with pre-high school graduation. I don't know enough about this to say that it is definitively a bad thing to do, but it is something that I would personally be very concerned about doing. But the answer to your direct question "Do your recs have to be from your home institution" is absolutely not.

Good luck =D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook