What are my odds? Sophomore Chemistry REU

  • Thread starter Thread starter flybynight
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Chemistry Reu
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 3K views
flybynight
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
Hi everyone,
This summer I spent a lot of time looking at possible research sites for next summer. I was wondering if anyone out there could gauge the odds of me landing a research project.

I am entering the sophomore year at St. Olaf College (a small Liberal Arts school in Southern Minnesota). I am a Math/Chem double major with a Stats minor. I have a 3.82 GPA overall. I tested out of the General Chemistry class, got an A in Kinetics and Thermodynamics, and I will be taking Organic I next semester. In high school, I did some research at the University of St. Thomas, working one-on-one with an Analytical Chemistry professor for about two months.

Anyone like to venture a guess about my chances of getting a REU? Also, does anyone have any advice for getting in?

Thanks,
Peter
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Getting good letters of recommendation can be a big part of it.
 
Stengah said:
Getting good letters of recommendation can be a big part of it.

At my school, we have different profs for class and lab. Which do you think it would be better to get recs from? I'm a little concerned that my professors don't know me well enough to write good recs because I did research with them. Is that a problem, do you think?

Peter
 
Are the lab instructors TAs? There are varying opinions on this, but if they are still students you may want to reconsider the prospect of using them for recs.

Also, I don't understand how these professors (who you say you did research for) don't know you (given that you did research for them)...If they gave you a shot at researching this early on, they must have some opinions about you; likely good ones. Is there someone (amongst the research hierarchy) who knows you better (perhaps a post-doc)?

edit: I didn't realize you are at a "small lib arts college" so the post-doc thing may not apply directly, but the idea remains.
 
My lab instructors are professors, so I might be able to use them as recs. I guess I'll just talk with them one-on-one to determine whether they think they can write a good letter.

I did my research at a different college during high school. I guess I could go for a rec from him, as the experience I had with him is most relevant. Are REUs ok with recommendations outside of your own institution?
 
So, would you, the wise ones who have gone through the applications before, say that if I apply to about 10 programs, I would have a good chance of getting into at least one? I will also be applying for some on-campus research and some non-REU sites. I really, really do not want to end up doing yard work for another summer...
 
Won't know until you try =]

However, I just want to say that If I was you I would be very cautious about sending recs from someone you worked with pre-high school graduation. I don't know enough about this to say that it is definitively a bad thing to do, but it is something that I would personally be very concerned about doing. But the answer to your direct question "Do your recs have to be from your home institution" is absolutely not.

Good luck =D