What are Novel Genes? - Get Help Here

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of novel genes, which are pieces of DNA that have not been previously identified as being a gene. The individual is trying to find orthologs for a gene called san-1 from C. elegans, but is having difficulty as it does not seem to have any. They are confused about whether a novel gene is a gene or not and if it has a name. The conversation also mentions using databases such as NCBI Blast and Ensembl to find orthologs, as well as searching the literature and using a PSI-blast for more divergent sequences. The importance of checking the function of the protein and its possible ortholog is also mentioned.
higherme
Hi
I don't know what novel genes are. Any help?

Thanks

Biology news on Phys.org
Those are pieces of DNA that had not previously been identified as being a gene. How did you come to this question?

because I'm trying to find orthologs on this gene called san-1 from C. elegans, But it doesn't seem to have any. So my assignment saids to try finding it with its novel gene.

So novel gene is not really a gene? I'm confused. does it have a name though?

higherme said:
because I'm trying to find orthologs on this gene called san-1 from C. elegans, But it doesn't seem to have any. So my assignment saids to try finding it with its novel gene.

So novel gene is not really a gene? I'm confused. does it have a name though?

Isn't a gene that doesn't belong to a previous identified gene family, thus it has no comparable genes in other species?

qraal said:
Isn't a gene that doesn't belong to a previous identified gene family, thus it has no comparable genes in other species?

Apparently not. According to this source... http://www2.bioinformatics.tll.org.sg/Homo_sapiens/glossaryview" a 'novel gene' is...

Novel genes are genes that have been predicted by Ensembl on the basis of similarity to protein or cDNA sequences. They cannot be mapped with confidence to existing entries in any public sequence database.

...so kind of what I said and kind of not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Novel means new, you can say those are uncharacterized genes.

I don't understand that you can't find the ortholog of san-1. In which databases did you look?

I used NCBI Blast and Ensembl.
Blast results gave Mad3/Bub1 domains when searched.. but i don't think those are orthologs? they are just a domain that san-1 has??
and ensembl didn't find any.

It gave domains when you did a blast, did you try blasting the protein sequence to other species? That's how you find orthologs. The fact that it has a Mad3 domain is a big clue as to the function and possible orholog of the protein.

Besides doing the interspecies blast search you can also search the literature on Pubmed and the C. elegans worm database at Wormbase.

Monique said:
It gave domains when you did a blast, did you try blasting the protein sequence to other species? That's how you find orthologs. The fact that it has a Mad3 domain is a big clue as to the function and possible orholog of the protein.

Besides doing the interspecies blast search you can also search the literature on Pubmed and the C. elegans worm database at Wormbase.

yep, i used Blastp against other species. There were some "hypothetical proteins".
other than that, the % identity is pretty low (less than 25%)

It's best to first blast against species not too divergent from the one you are working with. Going from a nematode to humans can be a big evolutionary leap. If you do a Blastp against the Drosophila melanogaster species you should get Bub1-related kinase as a top hit.

For divergent sequences it is best to use a PSI-blast, it goes through several iterations and can therefore find a better match. Doing an alignment is only one step to find possible orthologs, you should next check the actual data on the function of the SAN-1 protein and its possible ortholog.

1. What are novel genes?

Novel genes are newly discovered genes that have not been previously identified or characterized. These genes may have unique functions, sequences, or expression patterns that distinguish them from other known genes.

2. How are novel genes identified?

Novel genes are identified through various techniques, such as genome sequencing, gene expression analysis, and computational analysis. These methods involve comparing DNA sequences and gene expression patterns to known genes to identify any differences or new sequences.

3. What roles do novel genes play in biological processes?

Novel genes can play a variety of roles in biological processes, such as regulating gene expression, encoding proteins with new functions, and contributing to disease development. They may also play a role in evolutionary processes, as they can introduce new traits and adaptations to a species.

4. Can novel genes be inherited?

Yes, novel genes can be inherited from parent organisms. They can also arise through mutations and genetic rearrangements within an individual's own genome. However, not all novel genes are passed down to the next generation and may be lost through natural selection.

5. How are novel genes studied in the laboratory?

Novel genes can be studied in the laboratory through techniques such as gene cloning, gene expression analysis, and functional studies. These methods allow scientists to manipulate and analyze the structure and function of novel genes to better understand their roles in biological processes.