Robots on PhysicsForums: AI, Members & More

• Thread starter Jacinta
  • Start date
In summary: Internet bots are used by companies like Google to search the web for information. They are not physical robots, but rather software programs. This forum has a filter that can separate members from bots. This advanced technology is a result of having a community of science-minded individuals. If you need to move a thread to a different section, you can click on the "report" button and request for it to be moved. In summary, the conversation discusses the presence of robots on the physicsforums.com website and the confusion surrounding their nature. It is clarified that these are not physical robots, but rather software programs used by companies like Google to search the web. The forum has the ability to filter out these bots from actual members. It is also mentioned that
Jacinta
Not generally, on this forum i mean.
I was looking at the 'Current Visitors' page to see if I was on it, and I found a filter thingie which filters members and robots.
I'm super confused about these robots, are they actual made made type robots that can move and stuff and are huddled up in one large physicsforums.com HQ? or are they just little microcells on a part of a computer managing this forum? Are they a form of artificial intelligence? Has physicsforums.com really gotten this advanced? I guess this is what happens when you group a bunch of sciency people here. Anyways, I really need to know the answer. I'm curious about the type of robots that could have stumbled across my threads.

Physics news on Phys.org
Jacinta said:
Not generally, on this forum i mean.
They are software programs used by companies like Google to scour the web for stuff.

phinds said:
They are software programs used by companies like Google to scour the web for stuff.

Thanks

Crap, I wrote this thread in the wrong section. How do I move it in 'General Discussion'?

Jacinta said:
Crap, I wrote this thread in the wrong section. How do I move it in 'General Discussion'?
Click on the "report" button and ask that it be moved

1. What is the difference between AI and robots?

AI (Artificial Intelligence) refers to the ability of a machine or computer program to perform tasks that typically require human intelligence, such as problem-solving and decision-making. On the other hand, robots are physical machines that can be programmed to carry out specific tasks.

2. How do robots use physics?

Robots use physics in multiple ways, such as in their design and construction, movement, and sensing abilities. Physics principles are applied in the design of robot joints and motors, as well as in their sensors, which allow them to detect and respond to their environment.

3. Can robots learn and adapt?

Yes, with the help of AI and machine learning algorithms, robots can learn and adapt to their environment. They can analyze data and make decisions based on that information, allowing them to perform different tasks and adapt to changing situations.

4. What are the ethical concerns surrounding AI and robots?

There are many ethical concerns surrounding AI and robots, such as the potential loss of jobs, privacy and security issues, and the possibility of AI systems making biased or unethical decisions. It is important for scientists and engineers to consider and address these concerns in the development and use of AI and robots.

5. What are some potential future advancements in robotics and AI?

Some potential future advancements in robotics and AI include the development of more human-like robots, advancements in natural language processing and understanding, and the integration of AI and robotics in various industries, such as healthcare and transportation. There is also ongoing research in creating robots with emotions and consciousness.