What are some good books to study mathematical logic?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
Maths Absorber
Messages
59
Reaction score
3
I am a CS student and have a very poor understanding of this field of mathematics. I don't properly know the difference in between symbolic logic, first order logic, propositional calculus, model theory and lambda calculus. But, I want to start studying logic formally from the very basic.

I'd like to be able to solve some seemingly simple puzzles like the Lady and the Tiger, or Knights and Knaves. I'd like to be able to get to a level where I'd be able to solve these questions easily, with the approach of mathematical logic rather than intuitive heuristics.

Can someone guide me as to what books are good, where I can begin and what are some more advanced books and topics I can work up to later on ?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you tell me about some of the things that lie beyond the surface?
 
Maths Absorber said:
Can you tell me about some of the things that lie beyond the surface?

I really don't know too much.. I have only reached so far as to study proofs using logic. Set notation can be expressed logically..I think logic is central to proving some of the more abstract math theorems. Computing uses logic, software etc..

Any equation can also be called a proposition...a logical statement.. Its one of the things about mathematics I am seeing so far, there are many ways of seeing one concept..at least, how I feel.
 
Last edited: