What Are Some Real-Life Applications of Electromagnetism?

• Thread starter Metallus
  • Start date
In summary, electromagnetism has numerous real-life applications in various fields such as medicine, engineering, and technology. In medicine, it is used in MRI machines to produce images of the body's internal structures. In engineering, it is utilized in generators and motors to produce electricity and power machines. In technology, it is the basis of radio and television communication, as well as being crucial in the creation of electronic devices such as computers and smartphones. Electromagnetism also plays a role in transportation, with the use of electromagnets in trains and magnetic levitation systems. Finally, it has applications in everyday objects such as doorbells, credit cards, and speakers.
Metallus
Hello,
I'm a chemist currently working on my PhD in materials science. In high school I loathed physics because our teacher was a complete ignorant and during university it was too hard since I didn't even know the fundamentals.

I dedicated an entire summer to learning physics on my own with textbooks, starting from base level up to uni level and finally managed to pass those exams the following year without effort. There I realized I didn't hate physics.

However, my knowledge is still that of a self-taught person. There are many holes in my comprehension of the subject, especially electromagnetism. This knowledge is not required for my profession, but it still ticks me off that I can't understand some basic things (like the implication of alternate/direct current and why some applications require either one or the other, or transistors or short circuits etc). I can read through the mathematics behind all those, but I can't translate them in the physical reality. I'd need real life examples of those applications, because what I thought most of the time was "Why would I put that there? Why would I use this? And why would I ever put these in series or parallel when I can do that other thing? Why amplifiers sound so black magic?"

Well, I hope I can fill those blanks here. I just need the keys to start the engine.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF, Metallus! :smile: