What are the applications of CAD in scientific computing and engineering?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
tmbrwlf730
Messages
41
Reaction score
0
Hi everyone. I've been looking at some computer aided design software, FreeCAD, and while it's to my understanding that engineers use programs like this constantly I wanted to ask if anyone knew if there programs are used in scientific computing or computational science and engineering. From what I read they are used for finite element analysis, what else are they used for? As someone trying to pursue a computational science degree is it worth learning? Thanks in advance.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Circuit designers use SPICE constantly. A good, free version is called LTSpice from Linear Technology. You can google it.

Computational Science is a very sought-after field. For a lot more than just CAD you know. The ability to solve large systems of differential equations quickly has a lot of application in various areas of science and engineering.