What Are the Best Summer Activities for Aspiring Biochemists?
- Topic: Other
- Thread starter ProfuselyQuarky
- Start date
-
- Tags
- summer
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
50 replies · 6K views
Physics news on Phys.org
ProfuselyQuarky
Gold Member
- 857
- 588
Okay, so which code? Python or Lisp? Two people apparently prefer Python, but micromass' little inequality is rather bold :)
The idea of working at a store or something isn't exactly appealing, but if it's necessary, I guess I'd have to (but only if necessary).
Yeah, doing art commissions wouldn't show how "responsible" I am. And I sure that university biochem. departments don't care if I can even draw a stick figure. I'll have to look into jobs more. How about tutoring? People are often asking me to help them clarify things and understand problems. Tutoring shows responsibility and care and I could easily tutor algebra or geometry or something of that sort.cpscdave said:It's better than nothing at all :) When someone is looking to hire you especially as someone having more than just a high school education. They will want some proof that you can be a responsible worker.
The idea of working at a store or something isn't exactly appealing, but if it's necessary, I guess I'd have to (but only if necessary).
Last edited:
Education Advisor
- 942
- 395
I strongly suggest Python, because my first programming language was Python. It's simple to start, you can write interesting programs right from the start, and it's actually pretty aesthetically pleasing as a programming language. I don't know much about Lisp.
All computer scientists and electrical engineers at my university start off with Python. As a language for mathematics, I have heard Python is becoming very popular, even if it's not quite as powerful as Mathematica or MATLAB.
The important thing isn't the language, though. Most concepts will be the same between languages, and if you know the concepts, switching between languages is just a matter of which words to use.
All computer scientists and electrical engineers at my university start off with Python. As a language for mathematics, I have heard Python is becoming very popular, even if it's not quite as powerful as Mathematica or MATLAB.
The important thing isn't the language, though. Most concepts will be the same between languages, and if you know the concepts, switching between languages is just a matter of which words to use.
- 22,170
- 3,335
Let's just say that people either absolutely love or absolutely hate lisp. With Python, I think most find it a good language. So are you up for a risky adventure, or do you want to go the path that has proven to work with most people.
ProfuselyQuarky
Gold Member
- 857
- 588
I secretly want risky adventure, but, practically, I want to go on the proven path since it'll probably waste less time.micromass said:So are you up for a risky adventure, or do you want to go the path that has proven to work with most people.
Does that mean Python then?
EDIT: Yeah, I guess it means Python. Thanks for the insights :)
EDIT: and, gee, micromass are you on PF 24/7?
- 22,170
- 3,335
For the people who don't know lisp. In python and other language you have many operations such as defining a new variable, defining a new function, addition of numbers, lists, etc.
In lisp however, you just need the "define" operation. Every single other thing can be built from that. You can build lists, numbers, addition, multiplication, etc., etc. Isn't this amazing? The mathematics behind it is called ##\lambda##-calculus.
In lisp however, you just need the "define" operation. Every single other thing can be built from that. You can build lists, numbers, addition, multiplication, etc., etc. Isn't this amazing? The mathematics behind it is called ##\lambda##-calculus.
ProfuselyQuarky
Gold Member
- 857
- 588
Okay, lambda calculus is more complicated, but that IS amazing. Ugh . . . I really want risky adventure. I want to do too many things.
Never mind, I'm just ranting. Thank you all for you're suggestions. It's really helped.
Never mind, I'm just ranting. Thank you all for you're suggestions. It's really helped.
Science Advisor
- 2,802
- 605
If only we had the luxury of being able to pursue that sense of amazement...micromass said:Isn't this amazing?
ProfuselyQuarky
Gold Member
- 857
- 588
What do you mean?Shyan said:If only we had the luxury of being able to pursue that sense of amazement...
Science Advisor
- 2,802
- 605
We don't!ProfuselyQuarky said:What do you mean?
And that seems tragic from time to time.
ProfuselyQuarky
Gold Member
- 857
- 588
Ah, okay. My sense of amazement is usually diluted with a sense of confusion. So I get what you're saying now.Shyan said:We don't!
And that seems tragic from time to time.
cpscdave
- 402
- 120
ProfuselyQuarky said:How about tutoring?
Tutoring would work as well.
If your program has coop/internship program strongly suggest you take it even if it delays competition of your degree by a 18 months.
I suppose I should also qualify that my points are mostly focused around industry. If you're planning on going academic route for a career. I cannot comment on what would or would not be important :D
Mentor
- 15,819
- 10,709
micromass said:![]()
![]()
Lisp > all
True perls of wisdom here from God!
cpscdave
- 402
- 120
jedishrfu said:True perls of wisdom here from God!
Whoa! Wait a second. @micromass is god?
Man physics forums has some pretty sweet connections!
ProfuselyQuarky
Gold Member
- 857
- 588
lol . . . I'm in high school, not collegecpscdave said:Tutoring would work as well.
If your program has coop/internship program strongly suggest you take it even if it delays competition of your degree by a 18 months.
I want to the academic route. From what I've been seeing, earning a phD and finding a good school to work at would offer more freedom to research or study what I want, right?cpscdave said:I suppose I should also qualify that my points are mostly focused around industry. If you're planning on going academic route for a career. I cannot comment on what would or would not be important :D
Mentor
- 15,819
- 10,709
To add to the programming discussion, I'd suggest looking at the Processing.org website and use the Processing IDE as the vehicle for learning either Java, Python, Javascript or Android.
Processing is:
- very easy to use,
- comes with many examples for each supported language,
- is designed for beginners to learn programming,
- has a modular structure (for future plugins for languages or tools)
- even allows them select which language to learn: Java, Python, Javascript and other third party.
I would advise against C/C++ for now unless you were going to program an Arduino in C.
The Processing IDE for Java comes with an extensive set of working examples and specializes in learning by doing graphical programming in the OpenGL standard.
www.processing.org
Processing is:
- very easy to use,
- comes with many examples for each supported language,
- is designed for beginners to learn programming,
- has a modular structure (for future plugins for languages or tools)
- even allows them select which language to learn: Java, Python, Javascript and other third party.
I would advise against C/C++ for now unless you were going to program an Arduino in C.
The Processing IDE for Java comes with an extensive set of working examples and specializes in learning by doing graphical programming in the OpenGL standard.
www.processing.org
ProfuselyQuarky
Gold Member
- 857
- 588
Thanks, jedishrfu. I'll definitely look at it! *bookmarked*jedishrfu said:
ProfuselyQuarky
Gold Member
- 857
- 588
Hello again, sorry for another question after some time, but I’m not sure if it deserves its own thread.
Is it better to TA a class or tutor individual students? The former one would get me credit, but I’m not sure what tutoring would do aside from helping me relearn for myself? Opinions?
Is it better to TA a class or tutor individual students? The former one would get me credit, but I’m not sure what tutoring would do aside from helping me relearn for myself? Opinions?
Mentor
- 15,819
- 10,709
Tutoring privately high school subjects and/or SAT testing skills can be quite lucrative. Some years ago my son had a professional tutor who charged $25 an hour and who worked from 3pm to 9pm everyday. You could look around to see what private tutors charge and start making some money.
Individual tutoring will really hone your skills of explanation and show you what you really don't know or took on face value from the teacher.
Individual tutoring will really hone your skills of explanation and show you what you really don't know or took on face value from the teacher.
ProfuselyQuarky
Gold Member
- 857
- 588
Yeah, I’ve heard some students who’ve charged $15/hr, which I think is too much. My help is probably worth $5/2hr, but that’s just me …
But, seriously, I understand the benefits of tutoring completely. Which would look better on an application?
But, seriously, I understand the benefits of tutoring completely. Which would look better on an application?
ProfuselyQuarky
Gold Member
- 857
- 588
Making money is not my priority.
Similar threads
- r4nd0m
- · Replies 11 ·
- STEM Academic Advising
- Replies
- 11
- kuahji
- · Replies 3 ·
- STEM Academic Advising
- Replies
- 3
- GeekyGreg
- · Replies 1 ·
- STEM Academic Advising
- Replies
- 1
- bubbles
- · Replies 7 ·
- STEM Academic Advising
- Replies
- 7
- noagname
- · Replies 4 ·
- STEM Career Guidance
- Replies
- 4