What Are the Best Theoretical Mechanics of Solids Books for Reference?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 11K views
ank_gl
Messages
741
Reaction score
0
I want to buy a mechanics of solids book to keep it as a theory reference after i complete college. I have following options
Mechanics of solids - Popov
Mechanics of solids - stephen crandall
Mechanics of materials - Jenkins & khanna
Mechanics of material - Beer & johnston
Strength of material I & II - Timoshenko
Strength of material - James gere
Which one should i buy? I am looking for a completely theoretical book, for reference, i don't need any question bank sort of a book.

For my course, i had popov & James gere's book. Popov is very good, whereas the later one was a lil more exam oriented
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
Those are the only options? If you can expand that and want a theory reference, I would recommend Timoshenko & Goodier's Theory of Elasticity.
 
FredGarvin said:
Those are the only options?

absolutely not, those are the ones i know:shy:. thanks for the suggestion:smile:
 
Ones i have used/got

http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/505659/description#description

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0132569833/?tag=pfamazon01-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1403942463/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I used a Mech Eng databook too, and i have some college level books in Mechanical Science and HND Mech Eng

A good solids book, well led to think so, is also

http://www.cambridge.org/catalogue/catalogue.asp?isbn=9780521859790

This is the one our tutor said, but i couldn't find one going cheap on Ebay.

same with this one

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0582251648/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Again, not in my poor student budget.

Got my books for a few £ of ebay, and all cost less than £10 with postage.