1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What are the career prospects for physicists?

1. Mar 30, 2012 #1
    If I were to be considering a career being a scientist (e.g. physicist), what would the career prospects be? Are there many jobs where you earn a sufficient amount of money to live on? And most important of all, I have heard there is very little job security, so people become employed quickly and most jobs are temporary with very few being permanent- is this true? I was considering becoming a physicist but would like a permanent job, with an adequate salary (approx. £40000 or over after several years of experience) and one that is stable so I do not become unemployed constantly.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2012 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Did you do a search of this forum? I see several threads on exactly this subject. If there is some reason they aren't addressing your question, it would be helpful to bring that reason forward.

4. Mar 30, 2012 #3
    I checked several threads out. In some threads, questions relating to career prospects as a physicist were asked but not all of them were answered and in some threads, it was about career prospects in the US, rather than the UK where I live. But please, if you can find other threads which are relevant and answer my questions, please post it here. :smile:

5. Mar 30, 2012 #4
  6. Apr 2, 2012 #5

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook