What are the conditions for applying L'Hopital's Rule?

• Thread starter Ad123q
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Conditions
In summary, L'Hopital's rule states that if f and g are differentiable functions on an interval (a,b), and c is a point within that interval where both f and g are equal to 0 and g'(x) is not equal to 0 for all x except c, then the limit of f(x)/g(x) is equal to the limit of f'(x)/g'(x) as x approaches c, as long as the latter limit exists. This can be applied even if g'(x) is equal to 0 at c, as long as it is not equal to 0 on a small interval around c. This is because the limit can still exist in this case. The definition given in
Ad123q
Hi,

I'm slightly confused about one aspect of the conditions for applying L'Hopital's rule.

N.b. apologies in advance for the lack of LaTeX.

L'Hopitals rule:
Let f,g:(a,b) → R be differentiable and let c ε (a,b) be such that f(c)=g(c)=0 and g'(x)≠0 for x≠c.
Then lim(x→ c)[f(x)/g(x)] = lim(x→ c)[f'(x)/g'(x)], provided latter limit exists.

I have lim(x→ 2)[(x²+x-6)/(x²-x-2)] = lim(x→ 2)[(2x+1)/(2x-1)]

I compute this to be 5/3 (which is correct) by L'Hopital's rule.
My point is that this function satisfies f(2)=g(2)=0, but does NOT satisfy g'(x)≠0 for x≠2, as the solution of g'(x)=2x-1=0 is x=0.5; i.e. g'(x)=0 for x=0.5, and 0.5≠c(=2).

So why are we able to apply L'Hopital in this case?

Physics news on Phys.org
If take (a,b)=(1,3), then the requirements are satisfied. The point is that you need g'(x) nonzero only "close" to c, i.e. on some open interval containing c.

I think you may have stated the conditions incorrectly. In particular, "g'(x)≠0 for x≠c", I believe, should be "g'(x)≠0 for x=c", since that is all that is necessary for the limit of f'(x)/g'(x) to exist (which seems to be consistent with the definitions I've checked from other sources, then if it still doesn't exist, you can apply it again, where it may eventually work).

I might be wrong though. Where did you get the definition of L'Hospital's Rule from?

What is L'Hopital's Rule?

L'Hopital's Rule is a mathematical concept that allows us to evaluate limits involving indeterminate forms, such as 0/0 or ∞/∞. It states that if the limit of a fraction of two functions is indeterminate, then the limit of the ratio of their derivatives is equal to the original limit.

What are the conditions for using L'Hopital's Rule?

The conditions for using L'Hopital's Rule are that the fraction must be in the form of 0/0 or ∞/∞, and both the numerator and denominator must be differentiable functions. Additionally, the limit must be within the domain of both functions.

How do you apply L'Hopital's Rule?

To apply L'Hopital's Rule, first check that the limit is in the form of 0/0 or ∞/∞. Then, take the derivative of both the numerator and denominator separately. Finally, evaluate the limit of the ratio of the derivatives. If the limit still remains indeterminate, you can repeat the process until you get a definitive answer.

Can L'Hopital's Rule be used for limits at infinity?

Yes, L'Hopital's Rule can be used for limits at infinity, as long as the limit is in the form of ∞/∞. In this case, taking the derivative of both the numerator and denominator can help simplify the expression and make it easier to evaluate.

Are there any restrictions when using L'Hopital's Rule?

Yes, there are some restrictions when using L'Hopital's Rule. It can only be applied to limits involving indeterminate forms, and the limit must be within the domain of both functions. Additionally, it cannot be used if the limit is not in the form of 0/0 or ∞/∞.