What are the initial conditions in this simple RCL circuit?

In summary, the voltage across the inductor is 12V at equilibrium with the switch closed and the capacitor fully charged. After the switch is opened, there is a brief negative going pulse of about 4.9 volts across the inductor. This pulse is about 1μS wide. The 100 K limits the current which is almost unchanged after the switch is opened.
tamtam402
CwPt7.png

So, let's assume the switch has been closed for a long time. The capacitor is charged to 12V, and the coil acts like a short-circuit.

Immediately after opening the switch, is it right to say the Voltage in the coil is 12V? My notes specify something along the lines of: the conditions at time 0+ must be the same as the conditions at time 0- to preserve continuity, because instantaneous variations are impossible. Are my notes wrong? Is the voltage in the coil at 0+ really 12V?

Engineering news on Phys.org
No, the capacitor has the 100 K resistor and the inductor effectively in series across it, so the majority of the voltage will appear across the resistor.

Really..? Doesn't that contradict the fact that V = L di/dt in the inductor? Isn't di/dt the biggest when the current goes from 0A to whatever it is right after that?

I did a simulation of this and there is a very brief negative going pulse of about 4.9 volts across the inductor when the switch is opened. This pulse is about 1μS wide.

The 100 K limits the current which is almost unchanged after the switch is opened. It gets 12 volts from the battery before the switch is opened and it gets 12 volts from the capacitor after the switch is opened.

After the initial pulse across the inductor, the voltage drops close to zero and the current in the inductor is about 120 μA which is due to the capacitor discharging via the 100 K resistor. This decreases with time.

Thanks, I was asking the question to find the initial conditions of the differential equation. I'm assuming that VL(0) is either 0 or 12V, which one is it and why?

tamtam402 said:
Thanks, I was asking the question to find the initial conditions of the differential equation. I'm assuming that VL(0) is either 0 or 12V, which one is it and why?

At equilibrium with the switch closed and the capacitor fully charged, therei s no current through L1 or C1. The voltage across R2 is determined by the values of R1 and R2. The charge of C1 is at the same voltage as across R2. At the instant the switch is opened current through R1 and R2 goes to zero. L1 field is at zero due to zero current and resists trying to discharge C1. The entire voltage (slightly less than battery voltage due to R1 and R2) is across L1. As the discharge current increases the voltage drop across the resistor increases to a peak at maximum discharge current. After this peak the capacitor continues to discharge along with decrease in the inductor field which is now trying to sustain current. As current decreases voltage across the resistor and the inductor drops exponentially to zero as the charge on C1 is fully depleted.

That is a word description that goes along with the simulation explanation. The circuit mathematics will confirm that behavior as well if you are at the stage where you have the math tools.

Edit I just noticed that you are looking at the initial conditions of the Dif EQ. So just before the switch is opened di/dt is zero because the capacitor is fully charged. At the instant the switch is closed di/dt is large and drops the complete capacitor voltage.

Last edited:
Thank you for your time guys!

1. What is an RCL circuit?

An RCL circuit is a type of electrical circuit that contains a resistor (R), capacitor (C), and inductor (L). These components are connected in series or parallel and can store and release electrical energy.

2. What are the initial conditions in an RCL circuit?

The initial conditions in an RCL circuit refer to the state of the circuit at the very beginning, before any changes occur. This includes the initial voltage and current levels, as well as the charge and energy stored in the capacitor and inductor.

3. How do the initial conditions affect the behavior of an RCL circuit?

The initial conditions play a crucial role in determining the behavior of an RCL circuit. They determine the initial flow of current and voltage, as well as the rate at which the energy stored in the capacitor and inductor will be released or absorbed.

4. What factors can affect the initial conditions in an RCL circuit?

The initial conditions in an RCL circuit can be affected by various factors such as the values of the components (resistor, capacitor, and inductor), the input voltage, and the initial charge on the capacitor and inductor. Changes in these factors can alter the behavior of the circuit and its initial conditions.

5. How can the initial conditions in an RCL circuit be calculated?

The initial conditions in an RCL circuit can be calculated using the equations for voltage, current, and energy in a series or parallel RCL circuit. These equations take into account the values of the components and the initial charge and energy stored in the capacitor and inductor.