Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What are the physics of pole vaulting

Tags:
  1. Jan 31, 2016 #1
    How to become a better pole vaulter, what are the physics of it?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2016 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

This is a much discussed and studied sport, and a very big question, so you are best served by reading around the topic first. When you get stuck, then you can ask questions which will get more productive and to-the-point answers.

I'll start you off:
    http://www.real-world-physics-problems.com/physics-of-pole-vaulting.html
    http://www.wired.com/2012/08/olympics-physics-pole-vault/
    ... and the pole is usually springy.

The fastest way to get better at a sport is to hire a personal trainer specializing in that sport. ;)

4. Feb 1, 2016 #3
    Thanks simon

5. Feb 1, 2016 #4
    I agree with Simon. If you want to become a proficient pole vaulter, I would access as professional a trainer as you can afford. I'd think the last thing you'd want to focus on as you were soaring over the bar was the "physics" of the whole situation. That is more likely to confound your effort than enhance it. This is the problem with golfing I've been dealing with since I was a kid. Too much overthinking about the physics of each shot. I do my best when I relax and just focus on hitting the green or hitting the hole.

6. Feb 2, 2016 #5

meBigGuy

Gold Member

In any sport requiring athletic precision you must be "In The Zone" to do well. People call it muscle memory, the unconscious, etc etc, but you need to get your conscious analysis out of the way of your training. As soon as you "consciously think about it", you lose it (short circuit the training). Musicians face the same fate if they start "trying" rather than doing.

The importance of a trainer is to correctly "program" the brain, so you are running in the hardware (so to speak). A good trainer (like any good teacher) will always challenge you just enough that you are continuously getting better without getting frustrated.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook