What are the precautions for viewing a lunar eclipse with your lover?

• Thread starter Jimmy Snyder
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Moon
In summary, the moon is the brightest full moon of 2010, but be careful not to look at it without protection. It's snowing outside.
Jimmy Snyder
If you have not already done so, take a look at the moon tonight. It's the brightest full moon of 2010. Big whoop, it's the first one too. Remember, never look directly at the full moon without protection, especially if you are with your lover.

Physics news on Phys.org
jimmysnyder said:
If you have not already done so, take a look at the moon tonight. It's the brightest full moon of 2010. Big whoop, it's the first one too. Remember, never look directly at the full moon without protection, especially if you are with your lover.
It's snowing! :cry:

I saw it on the way home this evening, and it's right outside the window now.

It's a clear night which means it will be slightly cool. Currently about 10°F, and going to about 0°F. Slight breeze, and winds are supposed to increase during the night.

Here you go Evo.

Attachments

• full_moon_large.jpg
    full_moon_large.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 484
Last edited:
Aww, thank you Astronuc!

jimmysnyder said:

I remember way back when my wife and I were engaged. We were walking through the park late at night looking up at a big lovers moon.

Then all of a sudden the damn sprinklers came on

edward said:
I remember way back when my wife and I were engaged. We were walking through the park late at night looking up at a big lovers moon.

Then all of a sudden the damn sprinklers came on
Kind of dampened the mood, eh?

The moon looks extremely bright, I was thinking about that as I walked home just now... good to know that I'm not crazy and it is known by others, for reason, to be bright tonight :-p

It also jumped into my eye last night, unfortunately I didn't take the time to really appreciate it :( (city rush)

jimmysnyder said:
Remember, never look directly at the full moon without protection, especially if you are with your lover.

In New Orleans "protection" should consist of a cross, a hammer, and stake:

Moon Over Bourbon Street

There's a moon over Bourbon Street tonight
I see faces as they pass beneath the pale lamplight
I've no choice but to follow that call
The bright lights, the people, and the moon and all
I pray everyday to be strong
For I know what I do must be wrong
Oh you'll never see my shade or hear the sound of my feet
While there's a moon over Bourbon Street

It was many years ago that I became what I am
I was trapped in this life like an innocent lamb
Now I can never show my face at noon
And you'll only see me walking by the light of the moon
The brim of my hat hides the eye of a beast
I've the face of a sinner but the hands of a priest

She walks everyday through the streets of New Orleans
She's innocent and young from a family of means
I have stood many times outside her window at night
To struggle with my instinct in the pale moon light
How could I be this way when I pray to God above
I must love what I destroy and destroy the thing I love

-Sting

I'm amazed that an old, familiar phenomenon like a full moon wasn't understood until less than 20 years ago.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1200/is_n21_v143/ai_13797782/

A good figure explaining how coherent backscattering works is here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coherent_backscattering

jimmysnyder said:
Remember, never look directly at the full moon without protection...
So much misinformation floating around - that warning only applies during a lunar eclipse. Other times, its perfectly safe.

Last edited:
turbo-1 said:
So much misinformation floating around - that warning only applies during a lunar. Other times, its perfectly safe.

I don't think Jimmy meant protecting the eyes.

turbo-1 said:
So much misinformation floating around - that warning only applies during a lunar. Other times, its perfectly safe.
Give me a break. Do you mean to say that during a lunar eclipse, when the sun comes between the moon and the earth, blocking our romantic view of the moon, we still need to keep a close watch on our hearts? And yet during a full moon, when dangerous r-rays hit our eye, like a big pizza pie, we can go on as if nothing had happened? This goes against Dean Martin's law, equating amore, E with the moon m in his famous equation E=m seen squarely.
I got lucky. If the report that Redbelly98 refers to had come out a few months earlier, I might have married the wrong woman.

Edit: improve the joke.

Last edited:
jimmysnyder said:
Give me a break. Do you mean to say that during a lunar eclipse, when the sun comes between the moon and the earth,
Dear lord, I almost choked to death.

1. What causes the moon to appear at night?

The moon is a natural satellite that orbits around the Earth. Its appearance at night is due to its position in its orbit, which reflects sunlight towards the Earth.

2. Why does the moon sometimes appear bigger or smaller?

The moon's size can appear to change due to its elliptical orbit around the Earth. When it is at its closest point to Earth (perigee), it appears larger, and when it is farthest away (apogee), it appears smaller.

3. What causes the phases of the moon?

The phases of the moon are caused by the relative positions of the moon, Earth, and the sun. As the moon orbits around Earth, different amounts of sunlight are reflected towards us, creating the different phases.

4. Can the moon affect Earth's tides?

Yes, the moon's gravitational pull on Earth's oceans causes the tides. The moon's position and phase can also affect the height and strength of tides.

5. Why is the moon sometimes visible during the day?

The moon is visible during the day because it is still orbiting around the Earth and reflecting sunlight, even though it may not be as noticeable as during the night. The moon's visibility during the day also depends on its phase and position in the sky.