What are the qualities I need to be an aerospace engineer?

In summary, to become an aerospace engineer, you will need skills in model aircraft making, computer programming, electronics, and a good grasp of basic physics. It is also important to have a strong background in math, specifically algebra and trigonometry. Taking AP math courses in high school can be helpful, but it is also recommended to use a program like ALEKS to reinforce skills and address any weaknesses. While hobbies like model rocketry and model airplanes can be beneficial, they are not required for success in the field.
nikirock021
Gold Member
I'm fifteen years old and have wanted to become an aerospace engineer for a long time. Controls and simulations is the field in aerospace engineering that seems the most interesting to me right now but I was wondering what I need skill wise to become an aerospace engineer(subjects I need to be good at, hobbies I should have etc)
thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Model aircraft making (actual flying models but could be something simple like free flight gliders) , computer programming, electronics generally, and a good overall grasp of basic physics are the first things that come to mind.

Likes nikirock021
rootone said:
Model aircraft making (actual flying models but could be something simple like gliders) , computer programming, electronics generally, and a good overall grasp of basic physics are the first things that come to mind.
thank you very much

Do you have a model rocket club near you? Is there a physics club at your high school? :smile:

Likes nikirock021
berkeman said:
Do you have a model rocket club near you? Is there a physics club at your high school? :smile:
we don't have a physics club at my school but we do have robotics. the credit for the model rocket goes to my science teacher this year who made us make model after model(like really hardly any textbook work, not that i mind) I now know how to make a working rover , rocket, water turbine, and speaker from scratch thnx to him :smile:

nikirock021 said:
we don't have a physics club at my school but we do have robotics. the credit for the model rocket goes to my science teacher this year who made us make model after model(like really hardly any textbook work, not that i mind) I now know how to make a working rover , rocket, water turbine, and speaker from scratch thnx to him :smile:
Very nice! Keep it up! :smile:

Likes nikirock021
Don't neglect your math. More aspiring engineers crash and burn their 1st or 2nd year of college because their high school math backgrounds are too weak to keep up.

Algebra and trig are very important.

Likes nikirock021
Dr. Courtney said:
Don't neglect your math. More aspiring engineers crash and burn their 1st or 2nd year of college because their high school math backgrounds are too weak to keep up.

Algebra and trig are very important.
thank you.:biggrin: I plan on taking AP math courses in grade 11 and 12, would that be efficient or should I take courses outside of school too?

nikirock021 said:
thank you.:biggrin: I plan on taking AP math courses in grade 11 and 12, would that be efficient or should I take courses outside of school too?

Moving on to AP courses before algebra and trig are really mastered is counter productive.

At the Air Force Academy, we used ALEKS pre-calculus to make sure cadets were ready for the science and engineering majors.

I've taken to recommending ALEKS to high school students also usually shortly after they finish their textbook version of pre-calculus.

It is very effective at reinforcing the needed skills and addressing any areas of weakness. The students who have followed my advice of ALEKS pre-calc after textbook pre-calc are all doing very well in their college courses.

Likes nikirock021 and berkeman
Dr. Courtney said:
Moving on to AP courses before algebra and trig are really mastered is counter productive.

At the Air Force Academy, we used ALEKS pre-calculus to make sure cadets were ready for the science and engineering majors.

I've taken to recommending ALEKS to high school students also usually shortly after they finish their textbook version of pre-calculus.

It is very effective at reinforcing the needed skills and addressing any areas of weakness. The students who have followed my advice of ALEKS pre-calc after textbook pre-calc are all doing very well in their college courses.
thank you very much i will try out ALEKS pre-calc:smile:

I'll second the math suggestion. It's the number one reason (anecdotally, anyway) that prospective engineers fail out.

Also, I wouldn't sweat things like model rocketry or madel airplanes. Those are neat and can be useful but are hardly required. I didn't do much of either and that didn't stop me from getting an aerospace engineering degree any more than not having the slightest experience tinkering with cars stopped me from getting a mechanical engineering degree.

Likes nikirock021 and Dr. Courtney
boneh3ad said:
I'll second the math suggestion. It's the number one reason (anecdotally, anyway) that prospective engineers fail out.

Also, I wouldn't sweat things like model rocketry or madel airplanes. Those are neat and can be useful but are hardly required. I didn't do much of either and that didn't stop me from getting an aerospace engineering degree any more than not having the slightest experience tinkering with cars stopped me from getting a mechanical engineering degree.
Thank you

Question 1: What educational qualifications do I need to become an aerospace engineer?

To become an aerospace engineer, you will typically need at least a bachelor's degree in aerospace engineering or a related field such as mechanical engineering or physics. Some employers may also require a master's degree or higher. It is important to research the specific educational requirements of the companies or organizations you are interested in working for.

Question 2: What technical skills are necessary for an aerospace engineer?

Aerospace engineers need to have a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and computer science. They also need to have knowledge of aerospace materials, structures, and systems. Familiarity with computer-aided design (CAD) software and programming languages is also beneficial. Good problem-solving and critical thinking skills are essential for this field.

Question 3: What personal qualities are important for an aerospace engineer?

Aerospace engineers need to have excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, as they often work in teams and need to be able to clearly convey technical information to others. Attention to detail and the ability to work under pressure are also important qualities. Additionally, having a strong sense of curiosity, creativity, and a passion for aviation and space exploration can make for a successful aerospace engineer.

Question 4: Is prior experience necessary to become an aerospace engineer?

Prior experience in the aerospace industry, through internships or co-op programs, can be beneficial in gaining practical skills and understanding the industry. However, it is not always a requirement for entry-level positions. Employers often look for candidates with a strong academic background and technical skills.

Question 5: How can I stay updated on advancements in the aerospace industry?

The aerospace industry is constantly evolving, and it is important for aerospace engineers to stay updated on new technologies and advancements. Reading industry publications, attending conferences and workshops, and networking with other professionals are all great ways to stay informed and continue learning in this field.