What are the specializations in physics?

• Thread starter shinobi20
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the specializations in physics that you can choose in graduate school include Theoretical Physics, Astrophysics, Particle Physics, Medical Physics, condensed matter/solid-state physics, and geophysics. There is also the field of computational physics, which involves using computers to aid in research and experimentation. Ultimately, your chosen specialization will depend on your interests and career goals.
shinobi20
What are the specializations in physics that I can choose in graduate school? Aside from Theoretical Physics, Astrophysics, Particle Physics, Medical Physics... What else?

Physics news on Phys.org
Experimental condensed matter / solid-state physics - such as semiconductor physics, or optics / laser physics. I have been working with manufacturing superconducting thin films via laser ablation.

Giant said:
As I understand it, all the branches of physics have a theoretical aspect.

On principle you should know your relevant theory as an experimentalist but picking an applied field you will not really "do" much theory. I spent the years of of my PhD in the lab, tinkering with devices, repairing stuff, working with the guys in the workshop to have my apparatuses built etc.

The computer-related part of my work was not "computational" but related to writing programs that controls sensors and the like.

What I want to pursue is a balance mixture of theory and experimentation, which I think particle physics suits that well.

Don't forget the most fascinating subfield of all... geophysics! :D

Related to What are the specializations in physics?

1. What are the different subfields of physics?

The main specializations in physics include: classical mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, relativity, quantum mechanics, and optics. These subfields focus on understanding the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of matter and energy in the universe.

2. How do these specializations differ from one another?

Each specialization in physics focuses on a different aspect of the physical world and uses different mathematical and experimental techniques to study it. For example, classical mechanics deals with the motion of macroscopic objects while quantum mechanics deals with the behavior of subatomic particles.

3. Can one specialize in multiple subfields of physics?

Yes, it is common for physicists to have knowledge and expertise in multiple subfields of physics. Many complex problems and phenomena require an interdisciplinary approach, so having a diverse background in different specializations can be beneficial.

4. Are there any emerging specializations in physics?

Yes, with advancements in technology and scientific research, new specializations in physics are constantly emerging. Some examples include biophysics, which combines physics with biology to study living systems, and astrophysics, which uses physics to understand the properties and behavior of objects in the universe.

5. How can one become specialized in a specific field of physics?

To become specialized in a specific field of physics, one typically needs to complete a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field, followed by a graduate degree in the desired specialization. It is also important to engage in research and gain practical experience in the field through internships or research assistantships.