What are the specs on your computer?

In summary: CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+ 2.6GhzRAM: Kingston PC2-4300 (266 MHz) 512MB x 4Display: NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS 1024MBMonitor: HP 2511 LCD 25" (1920x1080)OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 32bitNot much of a gaming system but I'm not really a gamer these days. I use this as more of a general purpose/Media center PC. It...isn't the best but it's been working fine for me.
Permanence
Wasn't sure if I should place this here or in the Computers Forum, I'm contrite if I made a mistake.

Well I thought this would be fun to share our specs and feed our internet-egos. I'll update the OP with some of the nicer models.

Here are mine:
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-3630QM Processor
Display: 15.6" Full HD Anti-Reflective Display (16:9; 1920 x 1080)
VGA: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 675M 2G GDDR5
HDD: 750GB Hard Drive (7200RPM)
Memory: 32GB DDR3 1600MHz System Memory
Optical Drive: Blu-ray Disc Reader

Computer science news on Phys.org
I have the Rodent Pro 7500
With 200 Gb hamster nest storage
Habitrail 2013 Processor

Evo said:
Habitrail 2013 Processor
I died laughing lmfao. This is brilliant; why isn't this a real thing.

Permanence said:
Well I thought this would be fun to share our specs and feed our internet-egos.

Core 2 duo, 2 Gigs of OCZ "Value RAM" that I had to buy because the 2 Gigs of cool G-skill RAM that I bought from Newegg in 2007 "stalled" on me. That was back when 2 Gigs cost you $300. PCB-e Asus motherboard. Had to replace my quadro 3500 with a Geforce 8600 gps. Soundblaster X-fi, and a cathode ray video monitor that's showing lines. Oh yeah, and Windows XP. Think I need an upgrade?

I forgot to mention, I do have arctic freeze on my cool copper CPU aftermarket cooler, so I am kinda hip :)

DiracPool said:
Core 2 duo, 2 Gigs of OCZ "Value RAM" that I had to buy because the 2 Gigs of cool G-skill RAM that I bought from Newegg in 2007 "stalled" on me. That was back when 2 Gigs cost you $300. PCB-e Asus motherboard. Had to replace my quadro 3500 with a Geforce 8600 gps. Soundblaster X-fi, and a cathode ray video monitor that's showing lines. Oh yeah, and Windows XP. Think I need an upgrade?

Scratch the upgrade, time for a new computer! And yeah, the price has gone down dramatically. The sad part though is ram for older models is still rather expensive.

I had a computer, but then I followed some instructions on how to do a POST (Power On Stress Test--you rapidly toggle the power button on and off to test the resilience of your components, or so I was told), and now I don't.

Permanence said:
Scratch the upgrade, time for a new computer! And yeah, the price has gone down dramatically.

Well, yeah, that's what I meant, I don't plan on upgrading this dinosaur. I also forgot to mention that I have an Asus 15.6" laptop that I accidentally stepped on the other night and cracked the LED screen. I'ts going to cost me $150 to repair it, but I'm thinking of just getting a new laptop all-together. I just got it last year...I'm 45 and this was my first laptop, believe it or not. I thought I did the appropriate "pre-screening" by entering some prose into the models at Best Buy to make sure I liked the keyboard. However, for some reason I ended up with one where they keys are packed in so close together I seem to have to re-type every sentence.

I only paid $350 for the laptop, so I don't know. Anybody have any advise on good laptop keyboards?

Permanence said:
...and feed our internet-egos.

I haven't got an internet ego, so I don't know what they feed on.

I'm running a Samsung Series 5 Chromebook

Here are the specs:
CPU: ARM Exynos-5 Dual-Core CPU ar 1.7 GHz
Display: 11.6" AR Display
VGA: ?
HDD: 16GB SSD that boots up in ~ 5 seconds
Memory: 2GB DDR3 1600MHz System Memory
Optical Drive: None
Battery: 4080 mAh, 2 cell, 30 Wh Li-Polymer - 6.5 hour battery life
Weight - 2.5 pounds

And the most important spec of all, which is what led me to buy it: $249!

phyzguy said:
I'm running a Samsung Series 5 Chromebook

Here are the specs:
Weight - 2.5 pounds

Minus 2.5 pounds! :bugeye: Good god, a lighter than air laptop.
Ha! Take that Macbook Air snobs...*

hmmm... They should have called it the Samsung Helium.

What will they think of next.

--------------------------
*I'm a macbook pro snob now, so I can talk.
Quad core! Woo Hoo!
Don't know what that means, but I'll brag about it anyways.

Old system here. I tend to upgrade every 5 or 6 years.

Dell C521
CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+ 2.6Ghz
RAM: Kingston PC2-4300 (266 MHz) 512MB x 4
Display: NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS 1024MB
Monitor: HP 2511 LCD 25" (1920x1080)

Not much of a gaming system but I'm not really a gamer these days. I use this as more of a general purpose/Media center PC. It works well for HD TV (http://www.silicondust.com/products/models/hdhr3-us/ network tuner).

Uuu... I also got a computer! Only the hard drive broke at some point.
Now I just keep 30 chinese teenagers in my basement and force them to memorize numbers.

Evo said:
Habitrail 2013 Processor

I prefer the gerbil-powered version, myself.

I just built a NAS a few weeks ago with these parts:

Asus C60M1-I mini-ITX motherboard with onboard AMD C60 (equivalent to Intel Atom)
Fractal Design Node 304 case
FSP 80 PLUS Certified 300-Watt Micro ATX/SFX Power Supply
Kingston ValueRAM 4GB Kit (2x2GB) DDR3 1066 MHz
4x WD Green 2 TB Desktop Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch, SATA III, 64 MB Cache
1x 1 TB Seagate HDD scavenged from my desktop tower
1x 1 TB Seagate HDD scavenged from my external drive (happens to be the same model!)
8GB USB flash drive (smallest & cheapest I could find in store)
FreeNAS operating system

I built my desktop tower about 5 years ago:

Antec P182 mid tower case
Antec 650W PSU
Gigabyte ATX board (forget model number)
Intel Core 2 Quad (forget model number)
8GB DDR2 RAM
nVidia GeForce 9600 GT
2x DVD-RW drives
SoundBlaster X-Fi
Multi-card reader
1x 500GB Seagate HDD
1x 1TB Seagate HDD (removed to put in NAS)
OS: WinXP + Ubuntu for most of its life, currently just WinXP, planning to install Arch Linux and possibly Mac OS X if I can get that to work.

I was hoping actually to scavenge more parts from my tower to build an HTPC, but it's too old. I can't find a mini-ITX board with the older socket and DDR2 slots, and a PCI-e x16 slot.

Cyberdyne T-1000

martix said:
Now I just keep 30 chinese teenagers in my basement and force them to memorize numbers.

To avoid being seen as racist, you must capitalize the "c" in "chinese".

I have a MacBook that I bought because my wife dumped a beer into my G3 Blueberry. It works, but I can't use any of my software on it because it has an Intel chip. :grumpy:

I am on Dell Inspiron N4050,my first PC awarded by my high school.
Quality very Low, 2GB RAM, Intel Core i3 and dual booted Windows 7 & 8.

Apple LCII heavily modded and overclocked to be the equivalent of an Alienware M17x R4, with all the latest refinements. It glows pretty.

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-3720QM Processor
Display: 17" Display (16:9; 1920 x 1080)
VGA: AMD 7970m
HDD: 750GB Hard Drive (7200RPM) (500GB with 250GB caching SSD)
Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz System Memory

Also this seems relevant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OlPg0davL0

Apple LCII heavily modded and overclocked to be the equivalent of an Alienware M17x R4, with all the latest refinements.

BS, they don't overclock anymore, that went out with the Pentium 4:smile:

DiracPool said:
BS, they don't overclock anymore, that went out with the Pentium 4:smile:

Curses! My ruse has been discovered.

It's still running at stock clock speed. I always said the LCII was ahead of its time.

My last computer was a HAL 9000. It started having problems about 12 years ago and I upgraded to my current laptop which is fully buzzword compliant.

So HAL went berserk because of the Y2K problem? Interesting!

I have some a 17" (or larger I forget) laptop from HP that I got over black friday two years ago for like 500 dollars. It's so wide it has a full numpad (which was important to me for obvious reasons). I think it's an intel i3 core something or other with like 4G or ram, win7, and some Nvidia or something graphics card. I can just barely play DayZ on it, but I don't play PC games so it's no matter to me. It runs photoshop like a champ, has an HD screen, and let's me post romantic tidbits on Evo's PF page, so it works for me.

jhae2.718 said:
I had a computer, but then I followed some instructions on how to do a POST (Power On Stress Test--you rapidly toggle the power button on and off to test the resilience of your components, or so I was told), and now I don't.
Thank you for giving me something interesting to do tonight.

jim hardy said:
Cyberdyne T-1000

My T-800 has no match.

Kholdstare said:
My T-800 has no match.

Oh I dunno, last time those two went head to head in benchmarks the T-800 came out on top, most noticeably in the 'witty remarks and one-liners' category.

my computer has an internal speaker. I listen to music through it, it can go pretty loud and sometimes my neighbours complain about the music.

It resonates but mostly only with deeper voices. I've been thinking about adding a sub-woofer in there or something.

I don't know the specs on the internal speaker. It's a "down-firing" speaker, and maybe as much as a 1/4 watt judging by the 38g wire.

I have upgrade the font of the OS to be more curvy, with grey & green background colours.

My key board is pretty good too, it has all the right buttons and doubles of some And beautiful orange hue for three indicator lights, indicating Num Lock, Caps Lock and scroll lock. I find those to be pretty handy.

My mouse is an optical mouse that uses only 5v @ 100ma. Has a Holographic Anti-counterfeit Microsoft sticker so it's assured this is a Genuine Microsoft mouse. The scroll wheel is designed with ergonomic perforations along its natural to the touch rubberized circumference. That feature greatly increased the speed at which I can scroll. With a previous mouse I found my finger would slip causing irritability, reduced productivity & some pages that weren't completely scrolled through.

Certifications for the mouse are CE, FC, NOM, WYCR, GS, PCT

It also has a unique serial number, so in other words is a numbered unit in a limited production (is now out of production), so will probably only increase in value .

Last edited:

1. What is the processor speed of your computer?

The processor speed of my computer is 3.2 GHz.

2. How much RAM does your computer have?

My computer has 8 GB of RAM.

3. What is the storage capacity of your computer?

The storage capacity of my computer is 1 TB.

4. Does your computer have a dedicated graphics card?

Yes, my computer has a dedicated graphics card with 4 GB of memory.

5. What operating system does your computer use?

My computer uses the Windows 10 operating system.