• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

What are you reading now? (STEM only)

• Other
  • Thread starter Demystifier
  • Start date
  • Featured
Borg
Science Advisor
Gold Member
This is the textbook that will be used in my weekly ML study group. Lots to learn. :oldsmile:

Bayesian Methods for Hackers: Probabilistic Programming and Bayesian Inference.
The study group is also going through this book:
A Student's Guide to Bayesian Statistics by Ben Lambert.

This morning, I ran across an online tool that he created to examine various distributions that will come in very handy. There are even tabs that include use cases and code examples in multiple languanges!
It's called The distribution zoo.

vanhees71
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
Just for curiosity, what is "probabilistic programming"?

Borg
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Just for curiosity, what is "probabilistic programming"?
I hadn't thought about it but here's the wiki article.
Probabilistic programming
Probabilistic programming (PP) is a programming paradigm in which probabilistic models are specified and inference for these models is performed automatically. It represents an attempt to unify probabilistic modeling and traditional general purpose programming in order to make the former easier and more widely applicable. It can be used to create systems that help make decisions in the face of uncertainty.

gleem
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Just finished Carlo Rovelli's"Reality is not what it seems: The Journey to quantum gravity"

A good non technical introduction to loop quantum gravity wrt its issues and objectives. How LQG devalues the concept of time as we commonly experience , eliminates singularities and the rising importance of information theory . Interesting excursion into the concepts of matter and space through the ages.

fluidistic
Gold Member
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2019 Award
Reviewing Stats, from a more practical/applied perspective with Montgomery's applied stats for engineers. I like his "Mind Expanding " exercises and the fact that he includes them after the more conventional ones. Always something new you can learn or some tweaking or improving of your existing knowledge and understanding.