What are you reading now? (STEM only)

• Other
  • Thread starter Demystifier
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reading
  • Featured
In summary, D. J. Tritton's "Physical Fluid Dynamics" is a book that he likes for its structure, beginning with phenomenology before delving into the equations. He also likes the book for its inclusion of experimental results throughout. He recently read J. MacCormick's "Nine Algorithms That Changed the Future" and found it to be very readable. Lastly, he is reading S. Weinberg's "Gravitation and Kosmologie" and Zee's "Gravitation".
Ulrich Warnke "Gehirn-Magie - Der Zauber unserer Gefühlswelt". The author studied biology, physics, geography, and pedagogics, but mostly worked on biomedicin, biophysics, ... psychology and psychosomatics. He does try to describe how he interprets quantum physics and QFT. It is not overly wrong in the first two chapters, then gets "more wrong" in the third chapter when he tries to describe the weak force in the context of the biological relevance of chirality, and dives into gravitation, mass and spin. Then I skipped forward to the appendix in chapter 7, which was pure homeopathy, acupuncture, and esoterics and the reference section, which was much less esoterics, but more stuff related to what he actually worked on. (I currently read chapter 4, it doesn't seem to be as badly wrong as chapter 3, but already well on its way deep into esoterics.)

It is not pseudo-science, but it is not science or popular science either. It would say it is scientifically inspired speculation. I learned which physical questions are actually still unresolved from a biological perspective. Things like The Chiral Puzzle of Life, or the stuff that Stuart Hameroff and Roger Penrose worked on. Actually, the reason why I write this now is that I accidentally came across Stuart Hameroff defending himself in the comment section of Scott Aaronson's blog post “Can computers become conscious?”: My reply to Roger Penrose. The speculations themselves are obviously misguided, but the open questions they try to address are real.

Likes pines-demon and Demystifier
Physics news on Phys.org
Molecular Orbitals and Organic Chemical Reactions Reference Edition (Ian Fleming*)

Probably only going to use the first 100 pages or so. Great semi-quantitative treatment of MO theory for people who have a life.

*not the James Bond author.

Likes Demystifier
My name is Bond. Molecular Bond.

• Haha
Likes Mayhem, Demystifier, gentzen and 4 others