What are you reading now? (STEM only)

• Other
  • Thread starter Demystifier
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reading
  • Featured
In summary, D. J. Tritton's "Physical Fluid Dynamics" is a book that he likes for its structure, beginning with phenomenology before delving into the equations. He also likes the book for its inclusion of experimental results throughout. He recently read J. MacCormick's "Nine Algorithms That Changed the Future" and found it to be very readable. Lastly, he is reading S. Weinberg's "Gravitation and Kosmologie" and Zee's "Gravitation".
caz said:
It‘s a joke. There are these important things called ladder operators, so of course physicists want Schrodinger’s cat to be climbing a ladder. Physicists are simple folk.
Simple? Yeah ok.
When I understand enough of the physics to understand all the jokes then I have probably made progress.
I am still at the, “A neutron walked into a bar,” stage.

• Haha
Likes atyy, AndreasC, Demystifier and 1 other person
Physics news on Phys.org
pinball1970 said:
“A neutron walked into a bar,”
What did the bartender charge him for a drink?

• Haha
Likes etotheipi, atyy, pinball1970 and 1 other person
I noticed Springer had a 50% "yellow sale" so I splashed down a bunch of money (more than I should have perhaps) so now I'm going to be busy for a while. I bought:
  • Quantum Theory for Mathematicians by Brian Hall
  • 2 volumes on probability by Shiryaev
  • Smooth Manifolds and Riemannian manifolds by John Lee
  • Lang's Algebra. This wasn't on sale but I wanted to buy it because I like very thick reference books you can hit people with
But whatever, what else am I going to use the money for? Thanks to Covid I have become a hermit...

Likes vanhees71 and martinbn
Lechner's electrodynamics is really "modern" in the sense that it presents electrodynamics as it should be presented after 1905 as a relativistic field theory (of course on the graduate level only). It's not just the xth reproduction of Jackson's inductive approach, which anyway cannot be topped so easily by rewriting it ;-).

Likes dextercioby, AndreasC and Demystifier
AndreasC said:
What do you mean exactly?
Level of rigor, depth of thinking, foundations to applications ratio, ...

Likes vanhees71 and AndreasC
vanhees71 said:
Lechner's electrodynamics is really "modern" in the sense that it presents electrodynamics as it should be presented after 1905 as a relativistic field theory (of course on the graduate level only). It's not just the xth reproduction of Jackson's inductive approach, which anyway cannot be topped so easily by rewriting it ;-).
Thanks. Also what do you mean by "inductive approach"?

Demystifier said:
Level of rigor, depth of thinking, foundations to applications ratio, ...
By the way, what do you think of Zangwill's book?

AndreasC said:
Thanks. Also what do you mean by "inductive approach"?
It's going the old-fashioned way by starting with electrostatics going through magnetostatics, quasistatics, and only finally to the full Maxwell equations. The deductive approach (though as old as Hertz's famous monograph) is more modern. You just start with the Maxwell equations in vacuum (of course in differential form ;-)) as the fundamental theory. That's honest in the sense that it's just the elementary formulation of everything having to do with electromagnetic phenomena (on the classical level). It cannot be logically derived from anything more fundamental. The "derivations" of the inductive approach leading in steps from electrostatics to the full Maxwell equations are heuristic (though important for an intuitive understanding).

• Informative
Likes dextercioby and AndreasC
AndreasC said:
By the way, what do you think of Zangwill's book?
I didn't read it in depth, but superficially it looks to me like a new edition of Jackson.

Demystifier said:
I didn't read it in depth, but superficially it looks to me like a new edition of Jackson.
Personally I like it but it's a bit too much information for learning perhaps. Iirc it is 950+ pages. It goes pretty in depth however and it has these boxes which mention interesting phenomena or historical facts etc. Kind of unusual for a book at this level. I'm not sure I would say it is like a newer Jackson, Jackson did things in a rather different order. Jackson started from potentials and went into boundary value problem solving pretty much. Zangwill starts from the Maxwell equations.

AndreasC said:
Iirc it is 950+ pages. It goes pretty in depth however and it has these boxes which mention interesting phenomena or historical facts etc.
Sounds like MTW!

Likes Demystifier
romsofia said:
Sounds like MTW!
It does, kind of. But it's actually more condensed than MTW.

My package arrived, whoooo!
IMG_20210429_232429.jpg

• Love
  • Wow
Likes Hamiltonian, Kolmo, Mondayman and 6 others
  • Love
  • Haha
Likes AndreasC and weirdoguy
AndreasC said:
My package arrived, whoooo!
I have three of the books in the image, as well as three more that aren't in the image, but that were written by authors in the image.

• Wow
Likes AndreasC
George Jones said:
I have three of the books in the image, as well as three more that aren't in the image, but that were written by authors in the image.
Which ones? I am guessing one of them is quantum theory and you also have Lie algebras by Brian Hall.

Likes atyy
AndreasC said:
Which ones? I am guessing one of them is quantum theory and you also have Lie algebras by Brian Hall.
Yes. I also have "Calculus of Several Variables" by Lang and "Introduction to Topological Manifolds" by Lee.

Likes atyy and AndreasC
andresB said:
That talk in the preface about massless charged particles is intriguing.
Sounds interesting. I guess it's something for masochists ;-)).

• Haha
Likes atyy
After giving up Frankel's books, I'm reading Marian Fecko "Differential geometry and Lie groups for physicists". I have mixed feelings.

Physical Chemistry - Quanta, Matter, and Change 2ed​

And no, it's not voluntary.

• Haha
Likes Demystifier
vanhees71 said:
Sounds interesting. I guess it's something for masochists ;-)).
Aren't we all masochists? :oldbiggrin:

• Haha
Likes vanhees71
MathematicalPhysicist said:
Aren't we all masochists? :oldbiggrin:
No, the guy in #444 is a victim of a sadist. :oldbiggrin:

• Haha
Likes vanhees71
Demystifier said:
No, the guy in #444 is a victim of a sadist. :oldbiggrin:
So you don't like chemistry?

So you don't like chemistry?
Who do you ask, me or the guy in #444? It was him who said that he doesn't read it voluntarily. If you ask me, I like physical chemistry, but not the rest of chemistry.

• Haha
Likes vanhees71
Demystifier said:
Who do you ask, me or the guy in #444? It was him who said that he doesn't read it voluntarily. If you ask me, I like physical chemistry, but not the rest of chemistry.
Always use inclusive- or when talking to me... :oldbiggrin:

Demystifier said:
What book are you reading now, or have been reading recently? Only STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) books are counted.
I'm currently reading Introduction to Nanoscience by Hornyak, Dutta, Tibbals and Rao, as well as Introduction to Nanotechnology by Poole and Owens. I'm doing a course on nanosci and though it seemed a bit out of my interests in the beginning, I'm actually pretty interested now!

Likes BillTre and vanhees71
Always use inclusive- or when talking to me... :oldbiggrin:
... or what? :-p

Fundamentals: Ten Keys to Reality
By Frank Wilczeck

Continued Fractions by Olds

• Haha
Likes Falgun, LCSphysicist, vanhees71 and 1 other person
Mondayman said:
Toilet Training in Less Than a Day
Two words -- "Spiderman underwear". Worked for berkeboy. :smile: