1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What branch of engineering or physics do i have to major in if ?

  1. Jan 22, 2012 #1
    I want to be in the research, development and construction of quantum computers, quantum circuits etc? General electrical engineering with a focus on quantum tech or will something along the lines of physicist be enough? Thanks
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2012 #2


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

    It depends a bit on the type of quantum computer (ions, spins, superconducting etc).
    It is a rapidly developing field, so it is impossible to tell which technologies will still be "hot" in a few years time.
    However, regardless of the type you should get a degree in physics, you can decide on the type of QC you are interested in at the PhD stage.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook