What can a first year PhD student in soft matter expect to find on this forum?

• Thread starter pai535
  • Start date
In summary, this forum is a platform for first year PhD students in soft matter to connect with and learn from other students and professionals in the field. It offers a wide range of discussions on topics such as experimental techniques, theoretical models, current research trends, and career opportunities. Members can ask for help with specific research problems, but must provide enough background information and follow guidelines for respectful and professional communication. To make the most out of this forum, first year PhD students are encouraged to actively participate in discussions, connect with other members, and utilize shared resources to stay updated on the latest developments in the field.
pai535
How did you find PF?
Google. When I was searching for correlation length I found here.
I just finished my undergrad months ago and I felt good and bad to find here. Feeling bad because I didn't find this forum in my undergrad years, and studying physics gave me so much trouble. Feeling good because this is such an awesome place with various kind of topics. I cannot wait to read all the Q&As and learn new things.

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PhysicsForums! :smile:

pai535 said:
How did you find PF?: Google. When I was searching for correlation length I found here.

I felt good and bad to find here.
"Well then I'm happy and sad for you." -- Quiz Question, what movie is that from? :smile:

Likes pai535
berkeman said:
Welcome to PhysicsForums! :smile:"Well then I'm happy and sad for you." -- Quiz Question, what movie is that from? :smile:

I don't know. Google says it is from Real Genius.:biggrin:

Likes berkeman
pai535 said:
I don't know. Google says it is from Real Genius.:biggrin:
Yep! Since you are working on your PhD in Physics, it's kind of required watching. It's a documentary of the undergrad to graduate transition at Caltech. (well, sort of...) :smile:

berkeman said:
Yep! Since you are working on your PhD in Physics, it's kind of required watching. It's a documentary of the undergrad to graduate transition at Caltech. (well, sort of...) :smile:
Wow, sounds interesting. I'll watch it sometime. :biggrin:

Likes berkeman
Be sure to cook some popcorn. (inside joke) :smile:

Related to What can a first year PhD student in soft matter expect to find on this forum?

1. What is the purpose of this forum for first year PhD students in soft matter?

This forum is designed to provide a platform for first year PhD students in soft matter to connect with and learn from other students and professionals in the field. It is a place to ask questions, share resources, and discuss research topics related to soft matter.

2. What kind of discussions can I expect to find on this forum?

You can expect to find a wide range of discussions on topics such as experimental techniques, theoretical models, current research trends, and career opportunities in soft matter. Members are encouraged to share their own experiences and insights, and engage in constructive discussions with others.

3. Can I ask for help with specific research problems on this forum?

Yes, you can ask for help with specific research problems on this forum. However, it is important to provide enough background information and be clear about your question in order to receive helpful responses from other members. It is also recommended to check if similar questions have been asked before posting.

4. Are there any guidelines for posting on this forum?

Yes, there are guidelines for posting on this forum. Please make sure to follow the rules of respectful and professional communication, avoid sharing confidential information, and cite sources when necessary. It is also important to use clear and concise language in your posts.

5. How can I make the most out of this forum as a first year PhD student?

To make the most out of this forum, you can actively participate in discussions, ask questions, and share your own knowledge and experiences. You can also connect with other members and build a network of peers and mentors in the field of soft matter. Additionally, you can utilize the resources shared on the forum and stay updated on the latest research and developments in the field.