What can you expect in the Food Thread on PF?

In summary, a food lover and connoisseur named PF shared their favourite recipes, their kind of cuisine, and favourite dishes. They also shared their experiences dining out and cooking at home. Lastly, they mentioned a food thread that is popular on the website, as well as a recipe that they like.
  • #3,361
turbo-1 said:
I already have Molson Golden. Just keep driving and I'll make us a pan-seared rib-eye, some home-fries, and vegetables of your choice.

Edit: Of course, I don't have Evo's attributes. I can cook, though.

Evo said:
They're ready! I have Prime ribeye steaks too. Restaurant, special aged PRIME. Can't buy it, I got it from my meat connection.

I've gained a couple of pounds with all these good eats. :smile: Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #3,362
pan-seared, oven roasted meatballs, crushed tomato sauce with some spicy zip... on an onion roll... well... next to one. A big salad, and some ice cold water.

Ahhhh... simple... delicious.

• #3,363
nismaratwork said:
pan-seared, oven roasted meatballs, crushed tomato sauce with some spicy zip... on an onion roll... well... next to one. A big salad, and some ice cold water.

Ahhhh... simple... delicious.

OMG! This sounds so good!

• #3,364
Evo said:
I'm makinbg black eyed peas right now. Maybe I'll try frying some.
*is coming but does not know what to bring*

• #3,365
I put some peas aside to dry and will attempt to fry them tomorrow.

Just bring yourself.

• #3,366
Evo said:
I put some peas aside to dry

I confess I'm a novice cook, so forgive this question...but what do you mean by this Evo? Did you put some aside from the ones you cooked?

• #3,367
HeLiXe said:
I confess I'm a novice cook, so forgive this question...but what do you mean by this Evo? Did you put some aside from the ones you cooked?
I'm going to try these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WlzBseu3TA

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #3,368
My neighbor got in a baking mood this afternoon and he made banana bread with some orange, cranberries, and golden raisins. He and his daughter and grand-daughters just dropped a loaf a few minutes ago, and it's delicious.

• #3,369
turbo-1 said:
My neighbor got in a baking mood this afternoon and he made banana bread with some orange, cranberries, and golden raisins. He and his daughter and grand-daughters just dropped a loaf a few minutes ago, and it's delicious.

Good banana bread makes good neighbors!

• #3,370
nismaratwork said:
Good banana bread makes good neighbors!
We're pretty close. Even without the food, though the food-swaps are great.

• #3,371
Evo said:
I'm going to try these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WlzBseu3TA
OMG, make these! They are delicious! Be really careful with the Old Bay seasoning, it's super salty, they don't really even need it as long as they were seasoned while cooking.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #3,372
turbo-1 said:
We're pretty close. Even without the food, though the food-swaps are great.

It's probably one of the most ancient ways to say, "hello neighbor, let's be friends!" known to humanity. It's too bad that these days, too many wait until someone gets sick to share goodies. You're a lucky man to have such good friends and neighbors.

• #3,373
Evo said:
OMG, make these! They are delicious! Be really careful with the Old Bay seasoning, it's super salty, they don't really even need it as long as they were seasoned while cooking.

Terrific, will do!

P.S. Isn't Brown gaga over Old Bay? I think that's his favorite blend or something along those lines, so that may explain the amount.

• #3,374
nismaratwork said:
Terrific, will do!

P.S. Isn't Brown gaga over Old Bay? I think that's his favorite blend or something along those lines, so that may explain the amount.
It's actually the restaurant's recipe. Old bay is really mostly celery salt.

• #3,375
I recently tried tarragon mayonnaise in chicken salad prep. Very tasty. Use fresh tarragon.
What about adding celery seed to the tarragon-mayo, and maybe some chopped tomato? Haven't tried that yet

• #3,376
ThomasT said:
I recently tried tarragon mayonnaise in chicken salad prep. Very tasty. Use fresh tarragon.
What about adding celery seed to the tarragon-mayo, and maybe some chopped tomato? Haven't tried that yet

Celery seed sounds great... I'd try the tomato on the side... it might be a little acidic.

• #3,377
I love to eat tomatoes and pickles together :biggrin:

• #3,378
HeLiXe said:

:bugeye:

Um... me too... NOT THAT WAY!... but with tarragon mayo- NOT THAT KIND!... eeew!

:smile:

• #3,379
nismaratwork said:
:bugeye:

Um... me too... NOT THAT WAY!... but with tarragon mayo- NOT THAT KIND!... eeew!

I should have said SLICED tomatoes and pickles to make myself more clear:devil:
I once ordered some @ Denny's and the lady asked me if I'm with child LOL I don't think the combination is peculiar at all.

• #3,380
HeLiXe said:
I should have said SLICED tomatoes and pickles to make myself more clear:devil:
I once ordered some @ Denny's and the lady asked me if I'm with child LOL I don't think the combination is peculiar at all.

It's good on a sub: Lettuce, tomato, mayo...

Somehow you add tarragon and it doesn't sound so appetizing...

• #3,381
HeLiXe said:

Brought back a food memory. When I was a kid, I used to eat bologna sandwiches with lettuce, mayo, and mustard...then take out that icky bologna (dog loved it) but leave the best part of the sandwich :biggrin:!

• #3,382
nismaratwork said:
It's good on a sub: Lettuce, tomato, mayo...Somehow you add tarragon and it doesn't sound so appetizing...
I've never had it with tarragon
Edit:
Nismar, I think you are an undercover 7 star chef :)
lisab said:
Brought back a food memory. When I was a kid, I used to eat bologna sandwiches with lettuce, mayo, and mustard...then take out that icky bologna (dog loved it) but leave the best part of the sandwich :biggrin:!

Reminds me of when I used to order cheeseburgers from Mc Donalds minus the meat lolol

• #3,383
HeLiXe said:
Edit:
Nismar, I think you are an undercover 7 star chef :)Reminds me of when I used to order cheeseburgers from Mc Donalds minus the meat lolol

Ohhh... I would love to taste whatever a 7 star chef makes... I think if you die and there IS a heaven... that should be the guy or gal who makes you breakfast!

• #3,384
Tomatoes I like, pickles I like, but together? I can't see combining the two textures. Tomatoes are so soft, pickles should be crunchy. I can't imagine eating them together. I guess the sourness is an issue also since there are cucumber and tomato salads. There is something I can't finger that just isn't right.

• #3,385
I don't mind (dill) pickles in principle, I just find that, like green peppers, their taste dominates every other taste.

• #3,386
nismaratwork said:
Celery seed sounds great... I'd try the tomato on the side... it might be a little acidic.
Well, I did finally include the chopped tomato, and, considering your caution re the acidic ... ness, and remembering the adage "fight fire with fire", I added a bit of lemon, just a pinch of lemon pepper seasoning, and some scrapings from the, I'm guessing, arm of some sort of, I'm guessing, mammal that was apparently electrocuted on the power lines outside the house.

It wasn't bad, though not 7-star chef stuff (again, just a guess). By the way, what's the current max on chef stars? I seem to remember it being quite a bit less than 7, but that was a while ago. Freaking inflation, eh?

• #3,387
HeLiXe said:
Edit:
Nismar, I think you are an undercover 7 star chef :)

Reminds me of when I used to order cheeseburgers from Mc Donalds minus the meat lolol

Thats a very loose definition of meat, imo.

• #3,388
ThomasT said:
Well, I did finally include the chopped tomato, and, considering your caution re the acidic ... ness, and remembering the adage "fight fire with fire", I added a bit of lemon, just a pinch of lemon pepper seasoning, and some scrapings from the, I'm guessing, arm of some sort of, I'm guessing, mammal that was apparently electrocuted on the power lines outside the house.

Oh man... killing me... :smile:

ThomasT said:
It wasn't bad, though not 7-star chef stuff (again, just a guess). By the way, what's the current max on chef stars? I seem to remember it being quite a bit less than 7, but that was a while ago. Freaking inflation, eh?

I think the max on stars, by which we mean Michelin stars... I think 4 is the max... and RARE... that's why I want a 7 star chef if there's a decent afterlife. Still, 7... yep; the chow to star exchange has been completely distorted... I blame Goldman-Sachs! :smile:

P.S. I think Willy Wonka was a 7 star pastry chef...

• #3,389
Jasongreat said:

You don't like agar and other binders and fillers?! YUM... that smooooth texture, the squishy moisture, and the way it makes you groan on the porcelain god almost SECONDS later?!

Wow... I guess some people don't appreciate fine cuts of aged beef. :biggrin:

• #3,390
nismaratwork said:
I blame Goldman-Sachs!
I recently blamed them for a flat tire.

nismaratwork said:
P.S. I think Willy Wonka was a 7 star pastry chef...
You might want to add that to the Wonka Wiki.

Wonka was a legendary patissier, and somewhat strange, but apparently against cannabalism:

Willy Wonka said:
Everything in this room is eatable. In fact even I am eatable, but that is called canabalism my dear children and is frowned upon in most civilizations.

• #3,391
ThomasT said:
I recently blamed them for a flat tire.

You are on a ROLL! (no pun). Frankly, I'm willing to blamed them for poor air quality and herpes if it comes ot that.

ThomasT said:
You might want to add that to the Wonka Wiki.

Wonka was a legendary patissier, and somewhat strange, but apparently against cannabalism:

You seem to be in a much improved mood lately, its good to see. Still, where do you think they discovered "snozzberry"? Wonka's left armpit.

• #3,392
Jasongreat said:

and a loose definition of bread too!

• #3,393
HeLiXe said:
and a loose definition of bread too!

Great frisbees in a pinch if you let them dry.

edit: That center slice is IDEAL

• #3,394
Evo said:
I can't see combining the two textures.
unrelated question Evo...do you like warm and cold together? I looooove the paradise pie from chili's...particularly when they used to serve it in a cast iron skillet.
nismaratwork said:
Ohhh... I would love to taste whatever a 7 star chef makes... I think if you die and there IS a heaven... that should be the guy or gal who makes you breakfast!
I wonder if that would be heaven for him/her :-p

• #3,395
HeLiXe said:
unrelated question Evo...do you like warm and cold together? I looooove the paradise pie from chili's...particularly when they used to serve it in a cast iron skillet.

I wonder if that would be heaven for him/her :-p

Nope, it's like Louis CK's Dog heaven: cat's pop up at noon, clouds poop steaks, but there's no 'people heaven'. There's no cat heaven, but there's a cat hell, "It's called, 'Dog Heaven'".

*prepares for the wrath of cat-people*