What career options would suit me?

In summary: Are you someone who likes to take charge and manage others?In summary, the speaker excels in science and problem-solving but struggles in English and math. They enjoy physics and are curious about potential careers in line with their strengths. However, it is important for them to first address their struggles in math and explore their interests and skills to determine a suitable career path.
victorhugo
I seem to naturally do really well in my sciences, always getting above 70% ( 3rd in biology, 1st physics and 3rd in chemistry classes) especially problem solving in physics, eg when the class has to set up an experiment to test things I always seem to lead the class and figure things out.
BUT I am terrible at English, barely passing my last two exams, and I failed maths by 2%

I have the most fun in physics and just wish i had it all day long... What careers would suit my style?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's difficult to tell anyone what career they are suited for based on performance in academic subjects alone.

If you are struggling with math, a career in the sciences is going to be extremely difficult. But one question you might want to ask yourself is why you are struggling? Is this something you put effort into, but struggle anyway? Or do you have a difficult time motivating yourself to study for it in the first place? Do your instructors have any insight to offer at how you might improve? Doing well in science classes should signal to you that you have the capacity to do well in other classes. At this stage of the game you might want to figure out how to go from failing or barely passing to building a solid foundation in these subjects.

After that, it's about exploration. You have to figure out what kind of vocation appeals to you. What kinds of projects do you like? Do you like working with people? Are you skilled at organizing others?

1. What are some career options for someone with a scientific background?

There are many career options for someone with a scientific background, including research in academia or industry, teaching, science communication, data analysis, and healthcare. You could also work in government agencies, non-profit organizations, or start your own business.

2. How do I determine which career option is right for me?

The best way to determine which career option is right for you is to consider your interests, skills, and values. Take some time to reflect on what you enjoy doing and what you are good at. You can also talk to professionals in different fields, do informational interviews, and shadow someone in a job that interests you.

3. Can I pursue a career outside of my specific scientific field?

Yes, having a scientific background opens up many opportunities in various fields. Your critical thinking skills, problem-solving abilities, and attention to detail are highly valued in many industries. You can also develop new skills through internships, workshops, and online courses to make yourself more marketable in different fields.

4. Is a graduate degree necessary for a successful career in science?

It depends on the specific career path you want to pursue. A graduate degree can be beneficial for certain positions, such as research and teaching roles, but it is not always necessary. Some careers may require only a bachelor's degree or even just a high school diploma. It is important to research the job requirements for your desired career and plan your education accordingly.

5. Are there any non-traditional career options for scientists?

Yes, there are many non-traditional career options for scientists. You could work in science policy, patent law, science writing, science consulting, or science illustration. You could also use your scientific knowledge and skills in fields such as marketing, finance, or entrepreneurship. It is important to think creatively and explore different options to find a career that aligns with your interests and goals.