What career path should I choose based on my interests and strengths?

In summary, the senior in high school is unsure of what to do with their life and has been accepted to 5 universities. They are considering a few degrees, but are unsure if computer science is the right major. They love cars and anything mechanical, but are not great at math and physics. They would like guidance on what to do with their life and what the different jobs for a physicist are.
btic
Hello,

I am a senior in high school, I am extremely unsure of what I should go into. I have already been accepted to 5 universities (2 tech schools), but I'm not sure what major I should choose. For a little background, I have a 3.6, 24 ACT, precalc is my current highest math and I took 1 semester of physics.

I am considering a few degrees,
-computer science - I am extremely thrifty with computers, I'm in a C++ class and decent at math, I understand the class but at the same time I don't, I also get tired of a lot of the projects we have to do and I always have to google around to get my programs working.
-mechanical engineering - I love cars and anything mechanical, decent at math, but like I said I only took half a years worth of physics, ironically it has been my favorite class I've taken in high school but I didn't understand most of it, but it may have been the book we were using
-electrical engineering - I love electronics, computers, cars, and electricity, I have read that this is one of the hardest engineering degrees though, and again, I'm not fantastic at physics
-finance analyst - I love money, the study of it, the economy, stocks, bonds, it is just flat out interesting to me, I watch videos on KhanAcademy about it and it is extremely intriguing but I am not very social/people skills aren't great.
-mathematics/physics ? - I have always loved math, and physics is extremely fun and interesting, but I'm not great at either of them, especially physics. Math, I have never really struggled with but I have also never been the star pupil of it. I also would want to use the degree and apply it to a job (not teaching basically, no offense to those that do)

Does anyone have any guidance with this bit of background about myself and my interests? I also may have been a little redundant with the fact of not being good at physics but I feel it is an important point.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would also like a clear answer on all the specific jobs a physicst has open to them. Do all researchers teach? Is it hard to get research jobs for the interesting stuff?

Tryk to sit down and research the different kind of jobs each one does. I also had many many interests, but settled down with EE. Think hard about what you really want to do the rest of your life, i also recommend to research every subdiscipline that exists in each field

1. What should I do if I am unsure of what career path to choose?

It is common to feel uncertain about your career path. The first step is to identify your interests, skills, and values to help guide your decision. You can also reach out to career counselors or take career assessments to gain more clarity.

2. Is it okay to change career paths if I am not satisfied with my current one?

Yes, it is completely normal and common to change career paths. Many individuals switch careers multiple times throughout their lifetime. It is important to do what makes you happy and fulfilled in your career.

3. How can I explore different career options?

There are many ways to explore different career options. You can conduct informational interviews with professionals in fields you are interested in, attend career fairs, or job shadow to gain hands-on experience. Additionally, you can research job descriptions and requirements to get a better understanding of different career paths.

4. Will my education or degree limit my career options?

While certain careers may require specific degrees or certifications, many careers value transferable skills and experiences over a specific degree. It is important to research the job market and understand the qualifications needed for your desired career path.

5. How can I balance my passions and practicality when choosing a career path?

It is important to find a balance between your passions and practicality in your career path. Consider your long-term goals and what will make you happy and fulfilled in your career. You can also look for opportunities to incorporate your passions into your career, such as volunteering or side projects.