What causes a point charge to move in an electric field?

In summary: I guess we could make a case for option A, too. If the force does not depend on the particle's velocity, then it will start moving regardless of the shape of the field lines. But option D is certainly correct.In summary, for a point charge released in an electric field, statement (1) is incorrect for a general case but correct for a specific case where the field lines are straight. Statement (2) is correct. Therefore, the correct answer would be option D.
randomgamernerd

Homework Statement

:
STATEMENT:[/B]A point charge at rest is released in an electric field. It will move along the electric field line...(1)
REASON: The force on a point charge is along the field line...(2)
State whether:
A) 2 is the correct reason for(1)
B) Both (1) and (2) are correct but 2 is not correct justification of 1
C) 1 is correct 2 is wrong
D) 2is correct 1 is wrong

Homework Equations

: [/B]No equation is required here..this is based plainly on concept

The Attempt at a Solution

:[/B]
Option A.
Text says its option B.
Well, if that is the case, then what causes the charge to move?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What text is this? I'd say you are correct.

Doc Al said:
What text is this? I'd say you are correct.
must be a printing error then...
Its an adaptation of halliday rasnik..The mcq exercises are framed by the adapters not the original author of the books..I tried my best to get a hard copy of the original text but everywhere in my country, I find an adaptation...

randomgamenerd,

Can we clarify what statement (1) is saying? Is it saying that if you let a positively charged particle start from rest at point "a" in the figure below, then it would move along the electric field line and reach point "b"?

upload_2017-3-24_20-42-43.png

Also, note that options (C) and (D) in the problem statement say the same thing.

Last edited:
TSny said:
randomgamenerd,

Can we clarify what statement (1) is saying? Is it saying that if you let a positively charged particle start from rest at point "a" in the figure below, then it would move along the electric field line and reach point "b"?

View attachment 114992
I think so..I don't know.
And regarding option C and D..i made a typing error

Something to consider: Is it possible for a particle's velocity vector to change direction if the force is always in the direction of the velocity?

randomgamernerd said:
STATEMENT:A point charge at rest is released in an electric field. It will move along the electric field line...(1)
REASON: The force on a point charge is along the field line...(2)
State whether:
A) 2 is the correct reason for(1)
B) Both (1) and (2) are correct but 2 is not correct justification of 1
C) 1 is correct 2 is wrong
D) 2is correct 1 is wrong
If you interpret statement 1 to mean something like "at that instant, will the charge begin to move along the field line?", then answer A would be OK.

But as TSny notes, statement 1 is a more general statement about the charge's future motion. (Consider: Does a mass always move in the direction of the net force on it? Even as the direction of that force changes?)

Either way, answer B is incorrect. (But one of the other answers is correct.)

TSny said:
Something to consider: Is it possible for a particle's velocity vector to change direction if the force is always in the direction of the velocity?
I guess not

Doc Al said:
If you interpret statement 1 to mean something like "at that instant, will the charge begin to move along the field line?", then answer A would be OK.
yea..I interprete the question just as you said..if I just release a charge which was previously at rest, then it will definitely just begin to move..

If i say the electric field lines are parallel, then probably the force along field line is causing the charge to move, right?

randomgamernerd said:
I guess not
Why not?

TSny said:
Why not?
Because there is no component of force acting in some other direction and hence no acceleration in any other direction. we know from law of inertia that a body tends to remain at rest or continues its motion with uniform velocity unless some external unbalanced force acts..So we can imagine that the body is at "rest" with respect to other directions except the direction in which force is acting.
I mean no component of force acts in any other direction. There is no velocity in any other direction(assuming for the sake of convenience that at at present force and velocity are along +ve X axis) and to change direction there must be come new velocity in some other direction.And to bring a new velocity we need some acceleration but that is absent. Or atleast the force must oppose the velocity.

I mean I don't know how to express...I can just..I mean till date I never tried to explain this..

randomgamernerd said:
Because there is no component of force acting in some other direction and hence no acceleration in any other direction. we know from law of inertia that a body tends to remain at rest or continues its motion with uniform velocity unless some external unbalanced force acts..So we can imagine that the body is at "rest" with respect to other directions except the direction in which force is acting.
I mean no component of force acts in any other direction. There is no velocity in any other direction(assuming for the sake of convenience that at at present force and velocity are along +ve X axis) and to change direction there must be come new velocity in some other direction.And to bring a new velocity we need some acceleration but that is absent. Or atleast the force must oppose the velocity.
You explanation is good. So, would you say that statement (1) in the problem is correct?

TSny said:
You explanation is good. So, would you say that statement (1) in the problem is correct?
I think it will be correct only if the field lines are straight

randomgamernerd said:
I think it will be correct only if the field lines are straight
Yes. That's right.

TSny said:
Yes. That's right.
okay, so can we say that for a more generalised case, statement 1 is wrong 2 is correct⇒option Dif the question was:it will start moving along field line, then option A.
option B and Cdoes not hold true for any case, right?

randomgamernerd said:
okay, so can we say that for a more generalised case, statement 1 is wrong 2 is correct⇒option D
Yes.

if the question was:it will start moving along field line, then option A.
option B and Cdoes not hold true for any case, right?
Yes, that's right.

okay, thanks for helping me out..teachers usually don't attend to our doubts with so much patience as is done here...thats why I love PF

1. What is a point charge?

A point charge is a hypothetical object with a defined amount of electric charge that is concentrated at a single point in space. It is used to simplify calculations and understand the behavior of electric fields.

2. How does an electric field affect a point charge?

An electric field exerts a force on a point charge, causing it to move. The direction of the force is determined by the charge and the direction of the electric field. A positive charge will experience a force in the direction of the electric field, while a negative charge will experience a force in the opposite direction.

3. What determines the magnitude of the force on a point charge in an electric field?

The magnitude of the force on a point charge is determined by the strength of the electric field at that point and the amount of charge on the point charge. The greater the electric field strength or the charge, the greater the force experienced by the point charge.

4. Can a point charge move in an electric field even if it is not directly in contact with the source of the field?

Yes, a point charge can move in an electric field even if it is not directly in contact with the source of the field. This is because the electric field extends throughout space and can exert a force on the point charge at any distance.

5. What happens to the motion of a point charge when the electric field is turned off?

When the electric field is turned off, the force on the point charge is no longer present and it will continue to move in a straight line with constant velocity, according to Newton's laws of motion. However, if the point charge is in the presence of other electric fields, it may experience a force from those fields and change its motion accordingly.