Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What characterizes an acid as strong?

1. Jun 13, 2005 #1
    I've posted this question in another thread... didn't get the answer though

Why does a strong acid (or a base) ionizes to a higher extent? Is this extent of ionization the only criteria for characterizing an acid (or a base) as strong or weak. Is it the simple bond polarization phenomenon that causes the ionization?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2005 #2
    i'm not a tutor but i would guess its due to bond strength. probably wrong tho

4. Jun 13, 2005 #3
    Does hydrogen bonding have some effect on pH?

5. Jun 14, 2005 #4
    Its due to the 'regularity' of the acid molecule to dissociate into Oxonium ions. For example, Hydrogen fluride has only something like 10% - 20% of its molecules dissociating into oxonium ions, while a 'strong' acid such as hydrochloric acid will have 90 - 100% dissocition of its molecules into oxonium ions.

6. Jun 15, 2005 #5
    So, my question stands unanswered! Why does HCl dissociate to such a high extent and while HF to only a little extent???

7. Jun 15, 2005 #6
    Its because the H-F Bond is much stronger than the H-Cl bond.

Note: you asked why strong acids IONIZE to a higher extent, and technically, this has been answered.

8. Jun 15, 2005 #7
    It is due primarily to bond strength, and temp...water only has the ability to pull apart some acids, that is one reason why 'sensitive' reactions take place @ lower temps. The acids dissassociate less because the water only has a certain amount of strength to rip them apart in the first place.

9. Jun 16, 2005 #8
    Hmmm... OK! I admit, Bladibla, you are right. You've answered my question. I actually overlooked the first sentence of your reply. Thanks!

Can someone please name around ten strong acids, strong bases, weak acids and weak bases and give their respective %ionization?

10. Jun 16, 2005 #9
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?