What characterizes an acid as strong?

• Thread starter Xishan
  • Start date
I've posted this question in another thread... didn't get the answer though

Why does a strong acid (or a base) ionizes to a higher extent? Is this extent of ionization the only criteria for characterizing an acid (or a base) as strong or weak. Is it the simple bond polarization phenomenon that causes the ionization?

Answers and Replies

undertow
i'm not a tutor but i would guess its due to bond strength. probably wrong tho

Does hydrogen bonding have some effect on pH?

Its due to the 'regularity' of the acid molecule to dissociate into Oxonium ions. For example, Hydrogen fluride has only something like 10% - 20% of its molecules dissociating into oxonium ions, while a 'strong' acid such as hydrochloric acid will have 90 - 100% dissocition of its molecules into oxonium ions.

So, my question stands unanswered! Why does HCl dissociate to such a high extent and while HF to only a little extent???

Xishan said:
So, my question stands unanswered! Why does HCl dissociate to such a high extent and while HF to only a little extent???

Its because the H-F Bond is much stronger than the H-Cl bond.

Note: you asked why strong acids IONIZE to a higher extent, and technically, this has been answered.

It is due primarily to bond strength, and temp...water only has the ability to pull apart some acids, that is one reason why 'sensitive' reactions take place @ lower temps. The acids dissassociate less because the water only has a certain amount of strength to rip them apart in the first place.

Bladibla said:
Its due to the 'regularity' of the acid molecule to dissociate into Oxonium ions. For example, Hydrogen fluride has only something like 10% - 20% of its molecules dissociating into oxonium ions, while a 'strong' acid such as hydrochloric acid will have 90 - 100% dissocition of its molecules into oxonium ions.

Hmmm... OK! I admit, Bladibla, you are right. You've answered my question. I actually overlooked the first sentence of your reply. Thanks!

Can someone please name around ten strong acids, strong bases, weak acids and weak bases and give their respective %ionization?

I got it myself, not TEN though!

http://www.dbhs.wvusd.k12.ca.us/webdocs/AcidBase/Strong-Weak-AcidBase.html [Broken]
http://www.members.aol.com/profchm/tcjc_ch15.html [Broken]

I'll be back with more questions in future. Inshallah

Last edited by a moderator: