What classes and programs to take for Mechanical Engineering in HS?

In summary: Regarding colleges, you will have to do your own research to see which ones have a good mechanical engineering program and which colleges have a good economic outlook for mechanical engineers.
berstell
What classes or programs would good to take or participate in while in high school for an introduction and background in Mechanical Engineering before college?

Also, what colleges are the best for Engineering?

Thanks so much.

Engineering news on Phys.org
If your high school offers some sort of shop class or CAD class that'd be helpful. Physics and calculus will likely be required in college as well. Lots of colleges are "good" for engineering. The "best" schools are the usual suspects- the Caltechs and MITs... but based on your recent questions it doesn't seem like you'd be a candidate for admission there.

My HS subjects consisted of high level physics, chemistry, geography and standard level maths, german and english (IB). So far they have prepared me reasonably well for first year engineering. That said, Australian National University does bridging courses and most of first year maths and physics are similar to high school, just with some calculus thrown in for your basic mechanics. There are also different streams of the subjects, with those not having covered as much being able to go into less demanding maths, but being able to move up provided they obtain the grades.

I would definitely take a class that covers calculus and mechanics, design/technology courses would also be fantastic, most of the CAD tutorials are terrible.

I however have gone through the Australian school system and study at an Australian university, so I can't say wether this will help you or not.

I think it'll be similar here. Thanks.

If you want to enjoy your undergrad as a mechanical engineer, I recommend shop & CAD classes (as fss mentioned.) Developing a certain comfort level/familiarity for putting things together will go a long ways towards helping you complete projects in your mechanical engineering coursework. Projects can eat up a lot of your time.

Related to What classes and programs to take for Mechanical Engineering in HS?

1. What are the necessary prerequisites for taking classes in Mechanical Engineering in high school?

In order to take classes in Mechanical Engineering in high school, it is recommended to have a strong foundation in math and science, particularly in calculus, physics, and chemistry. Additionally, some schools may require certain grades or scores in these subjects.

2. What types of classes are typically offered in high school for students interested in Mechanical Engineering?

High schools may offer a variety of classes in the field of Mechanical Engineering, including Introduction to Engineering, Principles of Engineering, and Computer-Aided Design (CAD). Other courses such as physics, calculus, and chemistry can also be beneficial for students interested in pursuing a career in Mechanical Engineering.

3. Are there any specific programs or certifications that can help prepare for a career in Mechanical Engineering?

Some high schools may offer specialized programs such as pre-engineering or robotics, which can provide hands-on experience and knowledge relevant to Mechanical Engineering. Additionally, obtaining certifications in computer-aided design (CAD) or programming languages such as MATLAB can also be beneficial.

4. What are some extracurricular activities that can supplement learning in Mechanical Engineering in high school?

Participating in clubs or teams related to engineering, such as robotics clubs or math teams, can provide valuable hands-on experience and help develop problem-solving skills. Additionally, volunteering or interning at local engineering firms can also provide practical experience.

5. How can I determine which classes and programs are best suited for my interests and goals in Mechanical Engineering?

It is important to research and speak with a guidance counselor or teachers to determine the best classes and programs for your specific interests and goals. Additionally, attending college and career fairs or networking with professionals in the field can also provide valuable insight and advice.