What Classes Should i take next year?

In summary, next year, the speaker's school will be offering over 200 AP classes. They are currently taking calculus and plan on taking AP physics next year since their school does not offer any science classes. They are seeking advice on how many AP classes to take and if there are any recommendations. The speaker personally has taken three AP classes and one honors course and suggests taking as many AP classes as one can handle since they are typically easier than college courses. There are 34 AP courses available in 19 subject areas, so the speaker advises to only take classes that one is interested in and can do well in.
Gecko
next year, my school is going to be offereing 200+ AP classes (im a high school sophmore) . I am taking calculus right now but my school doesn't have any science classes so i was planning on taking AP physics next year. any advice? thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
200 AP classes?

over 200 AP classes is a lot. at my school, there are about 13. i suggest taking all the APs you can handle. in high school, the AP courses are easier than the equivalent college courses, so they won't be too bad.

its some online program that the school is going to be joining. its free and you still get collage credit so its really cool. any recomendations? it'll be my junior year so i only have 2 years to take classes.

Wow, 200 sounds like a lot. Do you know how many a typical student would take? Just ask around and see what other people do.

classes

personally, i have taken three ap classes (government, calc, statistics) and one honors course (physics). it hasn't been bad at all. in fact, some dare to load up with 5 AP's and an honors class. its just high school, so how hard can it possibly be, right? :wink:

Last edited:
I don't think there are 200+ DIFFERENT AP courses. According to collegeboard:

"With 34 courses and exams across 19 subject areas, AP offers something for everyone. "

Art History
Biology
Calculus AB
Calculus BC
Chemistry
Computer Science A
Computer Science AB
Macroeconomics
Microeconomics
English Langauge
English Literature
Environmental Science
European History
French Langauge
French Literature
German Langauge
Comp Government & Politics
U.S. Government & Politics
Human Geography
Latin Literature
Latin: Vergil
Music Theory
Physics B
Physics C
Psychology
Spanish Langauge
Spanish Literature
Statistics
Studio Art
U.S. History
World History

As for advice, don't take a class you are not going to do well in. If you don't like Art, don't take that AP. However, if you think you can handle it then try it.

1. What factors should I consider when choosing classes for next year?

There are several factors you should consider when choosing classes for next year. These include your academic goals, your interests, your strengths and weaknesses, the requirements for your major or degree program, and the availability of classes. It's also important to consider your workload and make sure you can handle the course load.

2. How do I know which classes are required for my major?

You can usually find a list of required classes for your major in your college or university's course catalog or on their website. You can also speak with your academic advisor or department head for more specific information.

3. Should I take classes outside of my major or focus on courses within my major?

It's important to strike a balance between taking classes within your major and exploring other subjects. Taking classes outside of your major can help broaden your skills and knowledge, and make you a more well-rounded student. However, it's also important to make sure you are fulfilling the requirements for your major.

4. How many classes should I take each semester?

The number of classes you should take each semester depends on several factors, including your academic goals, your workload, and your ability to handle multiple classes at once. It's important to find a balance that works for you and allows you to succeed academically without becoming overwhelmed.

5. Are there any classes that are recommended for all students, regardless of major?

Yes, there are often general education or core curriculum classes that are required for all students, regardless of their major. These classes are designed to provide a well-rounded education and may cover subjects such as writing, math, history, and science. It's important to check with your college or university to see which classes are required for all students.