What comes after materials engineering PhD for international student?

In summary, the PhD in materials engineering is a prestigious and highly-paid degree. However, it's difficult to find a job after obtaining it, and the prospect of having to take a job that doesn't involve research is daunting.
sayeo87
What comes after materials engineering PhD?

Somebody I know has recently started a PhD in materials engineering in a decent (top 20) engineering school. He is mostly passionate about his work and is focusing on ceramics research. Recently he has started sharing with me his fears about not being able to be employed after getting her PhD. He has had substantial research experience even beginning in his undergraduate years but has only had one industry internship with a semiconductor company in southeast Asia. The very prospect of the job search greatly scares him.

Another area of concern is that he is an international student, and as such will not be hired by companies only hiring US citizens, and is also automatically exempt from jobs and funding related to the DoD and such (of which there are quite a few).

My questions are: what kinds of realistic opportunities will there be for my friend after his PhD, specifically considering his field and that he is an international student? It seems tenure track jobs are really hard to come by... Does anybody know any international students who graduated with materials engineering PhDs? How real is the proepect of eventually having to accept a crappy job having nothing to do with his education such as selling insurance over the telephone or the like? (I have seen recruiters for such jobs interview EE grads...)

Also, this is the best place (with a decent amount of web-traffic) I could find to post about this. It would be great if someone knows of perhaps a more related forum or resource where I could ask these questions.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Freud: I don't mean to be facetious, but, the friend you are asking about: is that yourself?

Gandhi: “Fear has its use but cowardice has none.” :)

Its not me. But suffice to say that "friend" is not a complete representation either. I'm keeping it generic for privacy's sakes. Anyways, it would be great if you have some thoughts on my questions, and not just the contexts they are in :)

1. What job opportunities are available for international students with a materials engineering PhD?

International students with a materials engineering PhD have a wide range of job opportunities available to them. They can work in research and development, product design, quality control, and manufacturing in industries such as aerospace, automotive, electronics, and energy. They can also pursue academic careers as professors or researchers in universities and research institutions.

2. Are there any additional requirements for international students to find employment after completing a materials engineering PhD?

In addition to having a materials engineering PhD, international students may need to obtain a work visa or permit in order to work in their desired country. They may also need to demonstrate proficiency in the local language and have relevant work experience in the field.

3. Can international students with a materials engineering PhD work in any country?

International students with a materials engineering PhD can work in various countries, but it is important to research the specific visa and work permit requirements for each country. Some countries may have restrictions or specific qualifications for foreign workers in certain industries.

4. What skills and qualities are employers looking for in international students with a materials engineering PhD?

Employers typically look for international students with a materials engineering PhD who have strong technical skills, the ability to work in a team, excellent communication skills, and a strong work ethic. They may also value cross-cultural competency and the ability to adapt to new environments.

5. Can international students with a materials engineering PhD continue their education after completing their degree?

Yes, international students with a materials engineering PhD can continue their education by pursuing postdoctoral research, a second PhD in a related field, or other specialized training programs. They can also attend conferences and workshops to expand their knowledge and network with other professionals in the field.