What's Next After Math Courses? - Advice for Hessam

• Thread starter Hessam
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about the speaker's academic plans and their interest in majoring in math and chemistry/physics in college. They are asking for advice on what math courses to take and what comes after taking linear algebra and differential equations. They also mention their interest in complex variables and algebra, particularly group theory, for chemistry.
Hessam
ok...

so since i have very little knowledge outside of what I've learned in school i must ask...

what happens after i take these math courses? what's the "next step"

ok, so 'im about to be a senior in high school... I'm just finishing up calc 3 right now, and during the first semester of high school I'm taking linear algebra + diff eq's

so what comes after that? what classes are after that that i need to take?

i wannah major in math and chemistry/physics in college... so what math courses would best fit me?

and of course... how "easy" or "hard" are the classes?

please help... thanks ahead of time

-Hessam

Mathematics news on Phys.org
i wannah major in math and chemistry/physics in college... so what math courses would best fit me?
i would say stick with ordinary & partial differential equations and applied math like modelling. i think now is the time for complex variables also. if you're going to do chem it wouldn't hurt to do some algebra, particularily group theory.

Hi Hessam,

First of all, congratulations on completing Calc 3 and taking on Linear Algebra and Diff Eq's in your senior year. That is quite impressive!

As for what comes next, it really depends on your specific interests and goals. Since you mentioned wanting to major in math and chemistry/physics, I would suggest looking into courses like abstract algebra, real analysis, and complex analysis. These courses are typically required for a math major and will give you a strong foundation for more advanced topics in math and science.

In terms of difficulty, these courses can be challenging but also very rewarding. It's important to stay dedicated and put in the time and effort to truly understand the material. Don't be afraid to ask for help from your professors or peers if needed.

Additionally, I would recommend exploring different areas of math and science through electives or independent studies. This will give you a chance to see what interests you the most and potentially guide you towards a specific career path.

Overall, my advice is to keep an open mind and continue to challenge yourself with new and exciting courses. Good luck on your academic journey!

1. What career options are available after completing math courses?

There are a variety of career options available after completing math courses. Some common choices include working as a mathematician, statistician, actuary, data analyst, or teacher. Other industries that require strong math skills include finance, engineering, computer science, and economics.

2. Do I need to pursue a graduate degree after completing math courses?

While a graduate degree may be helpful for certain careers, it is not always necessary. Many entry-level positions in math-related fields only require a bachelor's degree. However, if you are interested in pursuing advanced research or teaching positions, a graduate degree may be beneficial.

3. How can I apply my math skills to other fields?

Math skills are highly transferable and can be applied to a variety of fields. For example, problem-solving and analytical skills gained from math courses can be useful in fields like business, medicine, and law. Additionally, computer programming skills learned in math courses can be applied to fields such as data science and software development.

4. What can I do to stand out to potential employers as a math graduate?

Aside from having a strong understanding of math concepts, it is important to gain practical experience through internships, research projects, or extracurricular activities. You can also consider obtaining certifications or additional training in specific areas of math that are relevant to your desired career path.

5. How can I continue to improve my math skills after completing math courses?

To continue improving your math skills, you can participate in online courses, attend workshops or seminars, join math-related clubs or organizations, or even pursue a second degree or certification in a specialized area of math. Additionally, practicing regularly and seeking help from tutors or mentors can also help improve your skills.