What Programs Can I Take at College for Grade 12 Science?

• Thread starter Fittler
  • Start date
In summary: Unfortunately, I am not familiar with the CC system in Canada. However, if he completes the diploma and has good grades, most universities would be willing to accept him. 3)... I'm sorry, I am not sure if this is relevant. Community College is a good place to start if you want to get a degree in a science-based field. However, you will definitely need to take some math and physics courses to have a good chance at getting into a good university. You can also try looking into CAAT agreements to see if they will be able to waive some of the math and physics prerequisites for you. However, I would still recommend taking the
Fittler
:tongue: :approve: :smile: o:) :tongue2: :confused: :zzz: :eek: :bugeye: :redface: :yuck: :cry: :cool: I am getting my grade 12 right now. I am taking my University level Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and English. I am not a math buff, so that means that I will be taking College level Math, which also means, I will have to go to College before I go to University. What programs would you recommend taking in College? I have no idea what to take, although it HAS to be something Science based and profitable (i.e: I will find employment). I like to travel, I like to outdoors, I like Physics and Chemistry, and I like to work bymyself. Any ideas? :shy: :uhh:

Physics news on Phys.org
Forgive me for being an ignorant American, but could you explain the difference between "university" and "college"? I thought they were synonymous.

well in Canada, high schools have from 11th to 12th grade pre-university and pre college courses. If you take pre-college they are only introduction courses more or less therefore universities will not, regardless of grades, accept you. You need 5 pre-university courses (minimum) at the 12th grade level to gain entrance to certain university programs (there are exceptions)

There are a couple things you can do;

1) go to comunity college and do 1 year Arts and Science or Civil or electrical engineering technology 2 or 3 years.

2)Take any other course at the 12th pre-U level to have 5 for entrance

3) If you have already taken pre-U 11th grade math, some places will allow that along side your 4 others for admission but with good grades.

I personally think they should have kept grade 13 OAC since most students are never ready for university or even college in most cases.

Hope this helps you somewhat

-matt

IMO you should take Calculus you like it or not, at least you have to try it.
Also, I would say you are too young to know to work by yourself. Devote your young years to schooling, there is nothing better than to study while you are young. If you want to attend a Community College maybe you should register into electromechanical engineering and see do you like electrical or mechanical, then after 2 or 3 years go to university and get your Degree in EE or Mech Eng. And, that is why I suggested you should take Calculus and Geometry; U 12 .

Sheridan College in Brampton, Ontario has a good Electromechanical Engineering Program, my aunt is a math teacher at Sheridan. Also Humber College has a very good engineering program. Godd luck!

Serbian.matematika,

My cousin is thinking about majoring in EE and or physics later on but he has to go through Community College. If he was to complete that electromechanical diploma, will that allow him to either major in physics or just engineering?

PS: My cousin does not have ANY 12U or 11U courses and can't take them.

-matt

Yes if he takes math and physics courses very seriously, otherwise he will not pass math and/or physics courses at university level.

He MUST take U12 math and physics otherwise universities are not going to admit him., because engineering in Ontario is a very competitive program. For Physics it is a bit easier to be admitted since not to many ppl want to major in physics. My cousin graduated from McMaster in Hamilton from Physics Engineering Program, got a job right after graduation.

Please, DO NOT GIVE UP! It can be achieved.

Serbian.matematika,

Well he can't take 12U courses since he doesn't have the prerequisites. He is infact a good candidate for Community College in Electromechanical enginnering technology.

I'll list my questions in point form, please answer any of them that you know and it will be gladly appreciated.

1) My cousin will graduate from high school with 12C (pre-college) credits, he will then do an engineering technology diploma (2 or 3 years) at a Community College. Will he be able to gain entry to a good university, if he graduates with good grades, in the field of math,physics and or engineering?

2) If no to #1, is there somewhere he can go to upgrade his courses?

3) How about CAAT agreements? to gain entry into university they require the equivalent to 12U, they say 2 or 3 years of CC is enough, true?

I know i might be repeating myself, sorry for that but my cousin is trying to make something out of himself and he is trying to take the initiative in doing what he must.

Thanks
-matt

Last edited:
1) My cousin will graduate from high school with 12C (pre-college) credits, he will then do an engineering technology diploma (2 or 3 years) at a Community College. Will he be able to gain entry to a good university, if he graduates with good grades, in the field of math,physics and or engineering?

1).. May I say something; all universities are good! Engineering is a very difficult program and it has different requirements. Yes, he will be able to get a spot @ the university but he must really get good grades in everything.

2) If no to #1, is there somewhere he can go to upgrade his courses?

2).. Yes, in Ontario he can visit school boards and register for Evening Courses and try to get as high as possible grades.
Also, if you are in the Toronto area there is a math upgrade course at Atkinson College, York University, Toronto.
Also, on line math course at Waterloo University, Waterloo, Ontario

3) How about CAAT agreements? to gain entry into university they require the equivalent to 12U, they say 2 or 3 years of CC is enough, true?

I know i might be repeating myself, sorry for that but my cousin is trying to make something out of himself and he is trying to take the initiative in doing what he must.

3).. Yes and NO, we are talking engineering, not early childhood education, or english, or psychology, or etc. Engineering is unique, different, very hard program and you need good background. As you can see my english is poor and soooo many students with poor english but the background is very good and we can do the most difficult programs.

Yes, students can be admitted as Mature students too. There are so many ways just do it, go, don't wait, ask, apply, study, get involved.

****My advice for someone at Community College; those are good programs, you will learn a lot, very practical, BUT try to get a very, very top marks if you plan to go to university.

Well he can't take 12U courses since he doesn't have the prerequisites. He is .

Last edited:

1. What are the different science programs available for Grade 12 students at college?

There are various science programs available for Grade 12 students at college, including biology, chemistry, physics, environmental science, and computer science.

2. Can I take more than one science program in Grade 12 at college?

Yes, you can take more than one science program in Grade 12 at college. However, it is important to consider your workload and ensure that you can handle the course load effectively.

3. Are there any prerequisites for Grade 12 science programs at college?

Yes, there are usually prerequisites for Grade 12 science programs at college, such as completing Grade 11 science courses or meeting a certain grade requirement. It is important to check with the specific college or program for their specific requirements.

4. What are the benefits of taking a Grade 12 science program at college?

Taking a Grade 12 science program at college can provide you with a deeper understanding of scientific concepts, practical lab experience, and preparation for a future in science-related fields. It can also help you develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and time management skills.

5. Can I pursue a career in science with a Grade 12 science program from college?

Yes, a Grade 12 science program from college can be a great stepping stone towards a career in science. It can provide you with the necessary knowledge and skills to pursue further education in science-related fields or enter the workforce in entry-level positions. However, it is important to research and plan your education and career path in advance.