What Degree Leads to Compsci/ Security/ Cryptography

In summary, a degree in math or computer science will give you the best chance of landing a position in the NSA.
emtakis
What undergraduate degree will best prepare a person for one of these fields (comp security/cryptography)?
- math
- compsci

...out of the two, which one would better benefit me if I pursue a PhD with. I'm most interested in computer security and cryptography. Cryptography is algorithmic and mathematical in nature, right?

For undergraduate degree, I plan to double in math and compsci, then pursue a PhD in either one - probably math as first choice.

My other plan is a bachelor and master's in EECS then PhD in Mathematics.

Last edited:
Technology news on Phys.org
emtakis said:
What undergraduate degree will best prepare a person for one of these fields (comp security/cryptography)?

I'm pretty sure that this thread belongs in the academic guidance section, but here goes:
EECS is probably not what you want to do, 'cause the EE will be pointless for either concentration. Even at the hardware level, computer security and cryptography don't usually get into the levels EE does. CS/math double major is the most sensible, but even cs is good enough (you'll probably cover most of the math you need in the prereqs for cs). Since you know you want to do security/cryptography, why not just go for a phd focused on that? (There are tons of programs out there catered towards that concentration.)

oops. dumb mistake. i should've seen that there was an academic guidance thread.

anyhow, a phd in security/cryptography is a great choice. i'll keep this in mind since I'm planning early. several more years before i go for phd. so CompSci/Mathmatics double major sounds like it's best for getting me started. Afterward, it's up to me to keep up with the technology and aim for a phd.

story645 said:
I'm pretty sure that this thread belongs in the academic guidance section, but here goes:
EECS is probably not what you want to do, 'cause the EE will be pointless for either concentration. Even at the hardware level, computer security and cryptography don't usually get into the levels EE does. CS/math double major is the most sensible, but even cs is good enough (you'll probably cover most of the math you need in the prereqs for cs). Since you know you want to do security/cryptography, why not just go for a phd focused on that? (There are tons of programs out there catered towards that concentration.)

emtakis said:
- math
- compsci

...out of the two, which one would better benefit me if I pursue a PhD with. I'm most interested in computer security and cryptography. Cryptography is algorithmic and mathematical in nature, right?

For undergraduate degree, I plan to double in math and compsci, then pursue a PhD in either one - probably math as first choice.

My other plan is a bachelor and master's in EECS then PhD in Mathematics.

I imagine Cryptology would have strong roots in mathematics.

Additionally, the military would be a good source of training for such areas.

CS

The NSA certifies security focused programs. See http://www.nsa.gov/ia/academic_outreach/nat_cae/institutions.shtml. These programs are affiliated with computer science departments. I would recommend looking at a CAE-R institution for grad school and going with a generic computer science degree first (as opposed to a security focused degree). There are great scholarship programs in this field too like http://cisr.nps.edu/scholarships.html.

As for cryptography, the NSA is the single largest employer of mathematicians. Go math for crypto.

Last edited by a moderator:
You'll require both math and computer science education to hack your way into the NSA.

stewartcs, the military is a good place to gain basic computer skills if you have none, a good place to gain moderate computer skills if you have some, a good place to gain good computer skills if you have moderate ones...

I think you see where this is going. They'll give you a bump up, but they're mostly interested in what you bring to the table. There are some programs involving AFIT, but they're almost exclusively officer-based, so you'll be on the hook for several years total due to the training. Is that what you want? You'll have nice educational benefits, though, if you qualify to get into the programs.

If not, the big question of "who makes up the upper crust of the NSA" comes to mind. I'd imagine it's a broad spectrum of several different specialties, with math and CS leading them, but certainly EE, IT, psychology... Yes! Language, and many other specialties abound!

But that's conjecture. Why don't you just call them and ask them what they're looking for?

1. What is the difference between computer science, security, and cryptography?

Computer science is the study of computers and computational systems, including their principles, hardware and software designs, and their applications. Security, on the other hand, focuses on protecting computers, networks, and data from unauthorized access, theft, or damage. Cryptography is a subset of security that specifically deals with the techniques and methods of securing information through encryption and decryption.

2. What degree is needed to pursue a career in computer science, security, or cryptography?

Typically, a degree in computer science or a related field is required to enter the fields of security and cryptography. A bachelor's degree in computer science, software engineering, or mathematics is a common starting point. Some positions may require a master's degree or even a PhD, particularly for research or academic roles.

3. Are there any specific courses or programs that focus on security or cryptography?

Yes, there are many programs and courses that focus specifically on security and cryptography. These may be offered at the undergraduate or graduate level and can vary in focus from theoretical to practical. Some examples include "Network Security," "Cryptography and Network Security," and "Applied Cryptography."

4. Is a background in mathematics necessary for studying cryptography?

A background in mathematics is helpful for studying cryptography, as it involves complex mathematical concepts such as number theory and probability. However, it is not always necessary, as many cryptography courses and programs provide the necessary mathematical foundations as part of the curriculum.

5. What job opportunities are available for those with a degree in computer science, security, or cryptography?

There are many job opportunities available for those with degrees in computer science, security, or cryptography. Some common job titles include software engineer, information security analyst, network security engineer, and cryptographer. These professionals may work in a variety of industries, including technology, government, finance, and healthcare.