What Determines the Average Kinetic Energy of Ideal Gas Molecules?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Linzy
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Average Kinetic
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Linzy
Messages
5
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Average Kinetic Energy of the ideal gas molecules inside a container, which is kept at temperature T, depends on __________________.

a) the mass of the molecules
b) the volume of hte molecule
c)the density of the molecule
d)the temperature T of the container

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I would choose D. The only thing that I can find relates to temperature, my professor didn't cover this section very well and I'm not positive about my answer. Thank you very much!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Linzy said:

Homework Statement



Average Kinetic Energy of the ideal gas molecules inside a container, which is kept at temperature T, depends on __________________.

a) the mass of the molecules
b) the volume of hte molecule
c)the density of the molecule
d)the temperature T of the container

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I would choose D. The only thing that I can find relates to temperature, my professor didn't cover this section very well and I'm not positive about my answer. Thank you very much!

You're right. Temperature is a measure of kinetic energy...

[tex]E_k=\frac{3k}{2}T[/tex].