How do I find average kinetic energy if I don't have mass of the gas?

In summary, the average kinetic energy of a gas is directly proportional to its temperature and is independent of its mass according to the kinetic theory of gases. This means that the mass of a gas does not affect its average kinetic energy. The average kinetic energy of a gas can be calculated using the ideal gas law without knowing the mass, but the mass can be used to verify the accuracy of the calculated value. The ideal gas law can be rearranged to calculate the average kinetic energy as 3/2 times the gas constant times the temperature in Kelvin. The average kinetic energy is different for different gases at the same temperature due to variations in mass and velocity of gas molecules. To experimentally determine the average kinetic energy of a gas without knowing its mass
Domuks
Homework Statement
I have single atom pressure (p) and molecule concentration (n) and I need to find average kinetic energy (EKavg)
Relevant Equations
NA
So always in my problems i had mass (M) but now i don't and it seems impossible to solve this problem if I don't have mass I think i am missing something. I was looking for similar problems in my book and internet and didn't find any.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is "single atom pressure"? I am unfamiliar with the term.

• Haha
Likes BvU

1. How do I calculate average kinetic energy without knowing the mass of the gas?

The formula for average kinetic energy is directly proportional to the temperature of the gas and the gas constant. Therefore, if you know the temperature and the gas constant, you can calculate the average kinetic energy without knowing the mass of the gas.

2. Can I estimate the mass of the gas using other properties?

Yes, you can estimate the mass of the gas by measuring its volume and pressure. Using the ideal gas law, you can calculate the mass of the gas by rearranging the equation to solve for mass.

3. What if the gas is not an ideal gas?

If the gas is not an ideal gas, you can still use the ideal gas law to calculate the average kinetic energy. However, the calculated value may not be completely accurate. It is recommended to use a more specific equation for non-ideal gases, such as the Van der Waals equation.

4. Can I use the average kinetic energy to determine the speed of the gas particles?

Yes, the average kinetic energy is directly proportional to the average speed of the gas particles. By knowing the average kinetic energy, you can estimate the average speed of the gas particles using the formula for kinetic energy.

5. How does the average kinetic energy relate to the total kinetic energy of the gas?

The average kinetic energy is a measure of the average energy of each gas particle. The total kinetic energy of the gas is the sum of the kinetic energy of all the particles in the gas. Therefore, the average kinetic energy is a good indicator of the total kinetic energy of the gas.