Temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of a gas?

In summary, the conversation discusses how temperature is a measure of average kinetic energy for ideal gases, but not applicable for all types of gases. It also mentions that thermal energy involves other forms of internal energy, such as rotational, vibrational, and electronic.
  • #1
14
1
Why do they say temperature is a measure of average kinetic energy how is this possible. how can we take it is it applicable for all types of gases?
 
Science news on Phys.org
  • #2
Avanthica said:
how can we take it is it applicable for all types of gases?
Apparently all types of gases behave very similarly -- almost like an ideal gas .

For such an ideal gas one can derive velocity distributions ##\Rightarrow## kinetic energy distributions that have a parameter ##T##. And that parameter ##T## we call the temperature.
 
  • Like
Likes Avanthica
  • #3
Avanthica said:
Why do they say temperature is a measure of average kinetic energy how is this possible. how can we take it is it applicable for all types of gases?
It is not applicable for all types of gasses. It is only applicable for ideal monoatomic gasses. For other gasses thermal energy involves other forms of internal energy
 
  • Like
Likes Lnewqban and Avanthica
  • #4
Dale said:
other forms of internal energy
What are the other forms of internal energy taken here?
 
  • #5
Avanthica said:
What are the other forms of internal energy taken here?
Rotational, vibrational, electronic, etc.
 
  • Like
Likes Avanthica

Suggested for: Temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of a gas?

Back
Top