What Determines the Range of Bound States in a Spherical Finite Well?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Void123
Messages
138
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



I was reviewing some homework problems and looking at the solutions. There is one problem with a tiny step I just cannot rationalize and I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

I have a spherical finite well:

[tex]V = {- V_{0}: 0 < r < a}[/tex],

[tex]= {0: r \geq a}[/tex]

[tex]- k_{2} = k_{1} cot (k_{1} a)[/tex] (1)

Refining the notation,

[tex]\alpha = a \sqrt{(2m(E + V_{0})}/hbar = k_{1} a[/tex]

[tex]R = a \sqrt{(2m(V_{0})}/hbar[/tex] and [tex]k_{2} = \sqrt{(2m(V_{0})}/hbar[/tex]

So (1) may be rewritten as [tex]\sqrt{R^{2} - \alpha^{2}} = - \alpha cot (\alpha)[/tex]

Homework Equations



From part 1.

The Attempt at a Solution



I don't understand how at [tex]R = \pi/2[/tex] there are no bound states.

Also, I am given this restriction: [tex]-V_{0} < E < 0[/tex]

How is this justified and how is the precise range of bound states determined?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
When [itex]R=\pi/2[/itex], the only solutions are at [itex]\alpha=\pm\pi/2[/itex]. In these cases, you get k2=0.