What do positrons have to do with dark matter?

In summary, the recent results of the AMS experiment in the ISS suggest that the positrons detected may be reflective of dark matter annihilation events.
DiracPool
In referring to the recent results of the AMS experiment in the ISS:

http://physics.aps.org/articles/v6/40

I'm still left wanting of understanding why the presence of an excess of positrons infiltrating the device isometrically indicates a presence of dark matter and tells me something about it.

What I'm getting is that this positron excess is supposed to be reflective of annihilation events in the dark matter. From the article:

But a more exciting possibility is that the positrons come from the annihilation of dark matter particles, which may populate the Milky Way and its halo [6]. Dark matter is, after all, a dominant form of the matter-energy budget of the Universe, but we don’t know its particle nature or how it interacts with itself and with normal matter (other than through gravitational interactions

But if we don't know what dark matter is, how can we say that annihilation events would produce excess positrons, or positrons at all? I don't know if I'm feeling my 2 billions dollars working for me here. Can someone enlighten me?

Space news on Phys.org
The energy believed necessary for dark particle annihilation suggests positrons must be created. The excess of positrons detected suggests particle creation events that cannot be accounted for by processes within our galaxy. It is possible they could be from extragalactic sources, but, positrons probably cannot survive the vast distances involved. That suggests a local source of unseen matter must be involved [i.e., dark matter].

Last edited:
No one claims they’ve detected dark matter because of the tiny excess of positrons detected. All they can say is that if one particular version of the WIMP (self-annihilation) hypothesis is true then they would expect some positrons. They correctly remind us these positrons may come from somewhere else, for instance, Pulsars. The WIMP models have several epicycles: Check out Neil Weiner of NYU who postulated some excess positrons from the PAMELA experiment were due to WIMP collisions. Later, Lisa Randall of Harvard added this new twist: there may be two types of WIMPS and only some small fraction of them would interact with each other via a new “dark force”. Not very likely, in my opinion, because this WIMP self-interacting epicycle would require a new complication: the “dark photon”.
http://www.newscientist.com/article...tale-hints-at-shadow-milky-way.html?full=true

FAQ: What do positrons have to do with dark matter?

What is a positron?

A positron is a subatomic particle with the same mass as an electron but with a positive charge. It is the antiparticle of an electron, meaning that they have opposite charges and will annihilate when they come into contact with each other.

What is dark matter?

Dark matter is a hypothetical form of matter that makes up a large portion of the universe. It is believed to be invisible and does not interact with light or electromagnetic radiation, making it difficult to detect. Its existence is inferred from its gravitational effects on visible matter.

How are positrons related to dark matter?

Positrons are not directly related to dark matter. However, when positrons and electrons annihilate, they produce gamma rays, which can be detected by scientists. Some theories suggest that dark matter particles may also produce gamma rays when they interact, and this could potentially be detected by studying the gamma rays produced by positron-electron annihilation.

Can positrons be used to detect dark matter?

As mentioned before, positrons themselves are not directly related to dark matter. However, scientists are studying the gamma rays produced by positron-electron annihilation in hopes of detecting signals from dark matter particles. This is still an ongoing area of research and has not yet yielded conclusive results.

What other particles are being studied in relation to dark matter?

Aside from positrons, other particles that are being studied in relation to dark matter include WIMPs (weakly interacting massive particles), axions, and sterile neutrinos. These particles are being studied through various experiments and observations in an effort to better understand the nature of dark matter.