What do you use to type up formulas and such

In summary, the conversation discusses the most commonly used software for typing up formulas and equations, which is LaTeX. It also mentions that Microsoft Word has a built-in equation editor but may not be as precise and versatile as LaTeX. There are also free alternatives to LaTeX such as MathType, LyX, and Overleaf. It is possible to use a regular keyboard to type up equations, but for more complex equations, it may be helpful to use a symbol chart or memorize keyboard shortcuts. Additionally, there are many online resources available for learning how to type up formulas and equations, including tutorials on YouTube, online courses, and documentation from the software itself.
Wesleytf
I much prefer putting all my work into a computer where I can see it and manipulate it rather easily post-facto. It is rather cumbersome to use word for this; is there any free program that allows copy-paste into word of fraction/intergration/limit/etc type stuff?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
[tex]\LaTeX[/tex]?

DavidSnider said:
[tex]\LaTeX[/tex]?

fair enough... I'm actually downloading that right now(it's huge); care to give me a brief overview of how to work with it?

1. What is the most commonly used software for typing up formulas and equations?

The most commonly used software for typing up formulas and equations is LaTeX. It is a typesetting language that allows for precise formatting of mathematical equations.

2. Can I use Microsoft Word to type up mathematical formulas?

Yes, Microsoft Word has a built-in equation editor that allows for the creation of mathematical equations. However, it may not be as precise and versatile as LaTeX.

3. Is there a free alternative to LaTeX for typing up formulas?

Yes, there are several free alternatives to LaTeX such as MathType, LyX, and Overleaf. These software programs also offer a user-friendly interface for creating mathematical equations.

4. Can I use a regular keyboard to type up mathematical formulas?

Yes, a regular keyboard can be used to type up mathematical formulas. However, for more complex equations, it may be helpful to use a symbol chart or memorize keyboard shortcuts for commonly used symbols.

5. Are there any online resources for learning how to type up formulas and equations?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning how to type up formulas and equations. Some popular options include tutorials on YouTube, online courses on websites like Coursera or Udemy, and documentation from the software itself.