What does a body "emits" when falling down?

In summary: However, when an electron drops from a higher energy level to a lower energy level, it emits nothing - it just gains energy.
Giuseppe94
I explain it better. If we bring an electron from higher to lower energy level, the energy gap will be emitted as electromagnetic wave, because of the conservation of energy. When the same situation applies for a physical body, for example letting if falling down from some height, what does it emit while losing its energy?

My answer would be: it it just emits what it received to increase its energy. Namely the electron was excited by a wave, so it emits wave by losing energy.

Physics news on Phys.org
Giuseppe94 said:
what does it emit while losing its energy?
Nothing. The energy simply gets converted from potential energy to kinetic energy.

Giuseppe94 said:
My answer would be: it it just emits what it received to increase its energy. Namely the electron was excited by a wave, so it emits wave by losing energy.
What if the atom was excited by a collision with another atom?

Giuseppe94 said:
I explain it better. If we bring an electron from higher to lower energy level, the energy gap will be emitted as electromagnetic wave, because of the conservation of energy. When the same situation applies for a physical body, for example letting if falling down from some height, what does it emit while losing its energy?

I can see why it could appear to be inconsistent but the two cases you are comparing are significantly different. When you drop a hammer, it gains KE but then converts this KE when it actually hits the ground and the overall effect is that the energy goes into vibrations and heat. For an electron, what happens during the change in its energy level is not knowable because it's a Quantum Mechanical process, the emerging energy (the photon) is all we know about.
You can accelerate an electron over a high voltage gap (an electron gun in a CRT) and the electron then has identifiable Kinetic Energy which can do damage when it arrives at an object.

1. What is the force that causes a body to fall?

The force that causes a body to fall is known as gravity. It is a natural phenomenon that exists between any two objects with mass and is responsible for the motion of objects towards the center of the Earth.

2. How does air resistance affect a falling body?

Air resistance, also known as drag, is the force that opposes the motion of a falling body. It depends on the size, shape, and speed of the object. As the object falls, the air resistance increases, eventually balancing out with the force of gravity and causing the object to reach a constant speed known as terminal velocity.

3. What is the difference between free fall and regular falling?

In regular falling, a body is affected by air resistance and its speed gradually increases until it reaches a constant speed. In free fall, there is no air resistance, and the body accelerates towards the ground at a constant rate of 9.8 meters per second squared due to the force of gravity.

4. Can a body emit any form of energy when falling?

Yes, a body can emit energy when falling due to the conversion of potential energy into kinetic energy. As the body falls, its potential energy decreases while its kinetic energy increases. This energy can be in the form of heat, sound, or light depending on the circumstances of the fall.

5. What factors affect the speed at which a body falls?

The speed at which a body falls is affected by its mass, the force of gravity, and the presence of air resistance. Objects with a greater mass will fall faster due to the stronger force of gravity, while objects with a larger surface area experience more air resistance and fall slower.