Is net charge the same as excess charge in the interior of a conductor?

In summary, the interior of a conductor in a static situation cannot have an excess charge, meaning there cannot be more positive or negative charges than the other. The correct term for this is a net charge of zero, or no excess charge.
gracy
The interior of a conductor can have no excess charge in the static situation.
What does excess charge mean here?as far as I know there can be no net charge at all in the interior of a conductor.So,is net charge same as excess charge?

Physics news on Phys.org
gracy said:
The interior of a conductor can have no excess charge in the static situation.
What does excess charge mean here?
Excess charge means more positive charges than negative charges, or vice versa.

gracy said:
as far as I know there can be no net charge at all in the interior of a conductor.So,is net charge same as excess charge?
I thin that "there can be no net charge" is not a correct usage. It is an abuse of language that I have often hear, with the meaning that "there can be no net charge other than zero." The correct way to say it is that the net charge is zero, which is the same as "no excess charge."

Likes davenn

1. What is excess charge?

Excess charge refers to the presence of an electric charge that is greater than the amount of charge present in a neutral object.

2. How does an object acquire excess charge?

An object can acquire excess charge through various processes, such as friction, conduction, or induction. Friction occurs when two objects rub against each other, causing electrons to transfer from one object to another. Conduction involves the transfer of electrons between objects that are in direct contact. Induction occurs when a charged object is brought near a neutral object, causing the charges to redistribute.

3. What are the effects of excess charge?

The effects of excess charge depend on the type of charge (positive or negative) and the amount of charge present. Excess positive charge can lead to repulsion between objects, while excess negative charge can lead to attraction between objects. Excess charge can also cause electrical discharges, such as lightning.

4. How is excess charge measured?

Excess charge is measured in units of coulombs (C), which is the standard unit of electric charge. This unit is often too large for practical use, so smaller units such as microcoulombs (μC) or nanocoulombs (nC) are commonly used.

5. Can excess charge be removed from an object?

Yes, excess charge can be removed from an object through a process called grounding. Grounding involves connecting the charged object to the ground, which allows the excess charge to flow away from the object and into the ground, restoring the object to a neutral state.