What does “Media Upgrade” mean in Thomas' Calculus textbook?

In summary: The difference between the two 11th editions is that the Media Upgrade edition includes CDs with supplementary material.
TMNNN
What is the difference between: THOMAS' CALCULUS, media UPGRADE (11TH EDITION) [ISBN-13 9780321489876] and THOMAS' CALCULUS (11TH EDITION) [ISBN-13 9780321185587]? could you provide detailed answer please?

what does the title-addition "Media Upgrade" mean and what changes does it make on the contents of the regular THOMAS' CALCULUS (11TH EDITION)?

Physics news on Phys.org
TMNNN said:
What is the difference between: THOMAS' CALCULUS, media UPGRADE (11TH EDITION) [ISBN-13 9780321489876] and THOMAS' CALCULUS (11TH EDITION) [ISBN-13 9780321185587]? could you provide detailed answer please?

what does the title-addition "Media Upgrade" mean and what changes does it make on the contents of the regular THOMAS' CALCULUS (11TH EDITION)?
Links please?

You do realize you are counting on someone to remember the details of two different versions of an eleven-year-old edition?

Vanadium 50 said:
You do realize you are counting on someone to remember the details of two different versions of an eleven-year-old edition?
the 11ed is very popular edition of TC until today as it is considered the last classic Thomas Calculus edition.
besides, even today's editions of TC have the plain version and media upgrade version

I taught and studied from various editions of Thomas, for close to 40 years, starting from maybe the second or third, and up through the 9th, 10th and later versions after Thomas himself had died. From this experience I would not recoomend any editions bearing the names of Haas and Weir, although the 9th edition with Finney seemed nice. Thus I would recommend only editions up through the 9th, preferably much earlier ones from the 1950's and 1960's.

To answer the question posed about the difference between the two 11th editions linked, it is obvious from the description on amazon that one of them includes a "media package" i.e. probably some cd's, that the other one lacks. Of course the old ones I recommend will not have media packages, but will be of higher intellectual quality.

In my opinion, the last "classic" Thomas edition was the one from roughly 1957, sometimes republished later as the "alternate" edition. As usual, the best approach is to visit a university library and browse the various editions they stock, and choose the one you like. You may hate the ones I recommend, especially if you are someone who wants media packages with your books.

I cannot actually search the 11th edition online and it is possible since it has a new title "Thomas' Calculus", that it is a republication of an earlier edition I would like. Though I doubt it, since they claim to have rewritten it extensively, which is bad news for an early edition. The editions I liked least I think were called "University Calculus" by Thomas, Weir, Haas.

Likes vanhees71 and berkeman

1. What is a "Media Upgrade" in Thomas' Calculus textbook?

A "Media Upgrade" in Thomas' Calculus textbook refers to additional resources that are available online to supplement the material covered in the textbook. These resources can include videos, interactive simulations, practice problems, and more, all designed to enhance the learning experience for students.

2. How can I access the "Media Upgrade" for Thomas' Calculus textbook?

The "Media Upgrade" for Thomas' Calculus textbook can be accessed through the publisher's website or through a unique access code included in the textbook. Some instructors may also provide students with access to the "Media Upgrade" through their course management system.

3. Are the resources in the "Media Upgrade" necessary for understanding the material in Thomas' Calculus textbook?

No, the "Media Upgrade" is not necessary for understanding the material in the textbook. However, it can be a helpful supplement for students who are struggling with certain concepts or who want to further enhance their understanding of the material.

4. Is the "Media Upgrade" included in the cost of the textbook?

In most cases, the "Media Upgrade" is not included in the cost of the textbook. Students may need to purchase a separate access code or subscription to access the additional resources. However, some publishers may offer bundle options that include both the textbook and the "Media Upgrade" at a discounted price.

5. How often is the "Media Upgrade" updated for Thomas' Calculus textbook?

The "Media Upgrade" for Thomas' Calculus textbook is typically updated with each new edition of the textbook. This ensures that the resources are up-to-date and relevant to the current version of the textbook. However, some resources may be updated more frequently to reflect changes in technology or to address common student misunderstandings.