Understanding POVM Measurement on Qubit: Placing Detectors & Neumark Extension

• Thread starter phonon44145
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mean
In summary, the conversation discusses the physical meaning of POVM on a qubit, where F_a = (1/3) (I + n_a\bullet\sigma) = (2/3) E(n_a). It is mentioned that E(n_a) is a projector on n_a direction and the 3-vectors n_a satisfy n_1+n_2+n_3=0. The question is raised about the placement of detectors in a Stern-Gerlach apparatus and whether it corresponds to the n_1,n_2,n_3 directions. One of the literature sources mentions that the physical placement of detectors may not correspond to these directions, but no further explanation is provided. The conversation then shifts to discussing
phonon44145
I have a question about the physical meaning of POVM on a qubit,
F_a = (1/3) (I + n_a[itex]\bullet[/itex][itex]\sigma[/itex]) = (2/3) E(n_a)
where E(n_a) is a projector on n_a direction, and 3-vectors n_a satisfy n_1+n_2+n_3=0

Does it mean that you actually put 3 detectors along n_1,n_2, and n_3, and wait for one of them to click? I find the question about detector placement totally confusing in view of the fact that any Stern-Gerlach apparatus can only resolve spin-up vs. spin-down, i.e. two orthogonal states.

One of the literature sources I've read contained a very vague hint that the physical placement of detectors does not correspond to the n_1,n_2,n_3 directions, but the authors did not elaborate any further. Can anyone confirm or refute that, and explain where in fact one must put the detectors to make a POVM measurement?

I am not asking about the Neumark extension to a qutrit. I just want to know how to set up a POVM measurement on a single qubit that is not coupled to any ancillas. Any feedback is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
This thread had no answer.
Perhaps now?
in the thread double slit and watching the electrons, i find that the light coming from the slits occurs in two non orthogonal states. they overlap and when the wavelength is equal to the distance between the slits we cannot distinguish them.
has anybody thought about the subject?

I have found this
it seems to answer to the first post.

1. What is a POVM measurement on a qubit?

A POVM (Positive Operator Valued Measure) measurement on a qubit is a type of quantum measurement that involves placing detectors at different positions around the qubit in order to gather information about its state. This type of measurement is commonly used in quantum computing and information processing.

2. How do you place detectors for a POVM measurement?

Detectors for a POVM measurement are typically placed around the qubit in a spherical pattern, with each detector pointing towards the center of the qubit. The exact placement of the detectors may vary depending on the specific experiment or application.

3. What is the Neumark extension in POVM measurements?

The Neumark extension in POVM measurements is a mathematical concept that allows for the measurement of a qubit to be extended to a larger system. This allows for more complex measurements to be performed, and is useful for certain types of quantum information processing tasks.

4. What is the significance of POVM measurements in quantum computing?

POVM measurements are significant in quantum computing because they allow for the measurement of quantum systems without collapsing the state of the system. This is important for performing operations on quantum information without losing valuable data.

5. How do POVM measurements relate to the uncertainty principle?

POVM measurements are closely related to the uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics. This is because the act of measuring a quantum system can introduce uncertainty into the system, and POVM measurements are designed to minimize this uncertainty. Additionally, the Neumark extension in POVM measurements can be used to study the relationship between measurement and uncertainty in more detail.