What does r represent in the moment of inertia formula

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
geekie weekie
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Hello,

This is a very basic question. Wikipedia says moment of inertia I of a point mass m is calculated as:

I = m * r^2

Where, r is distance from the axis of rotation. What this actually mean? I mean what is an r?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
geekie weekie said:
Where, r is distance from the axis of rotation. What this actually mean? I mean what is an r?

It is a distance, expressed in units of length (meters in the SI).
 
__________________________________________________________________________



this is axis of rotation and in front ist point mass not full stop .

it's at r dist from rod

I=mr2
 
moment of inertia of a point mass with respect to an axis is the product of mass times the distance of the axis
squared.So "r" is the distance of the mass "m" from the axis of roation.
 
Moment of Inertia of an object has to be referenced to a particular point or axis. Take any object and its MI is a minimum when that reference is through the CM. For a point mass, it is Zero.