Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What does the phase angle phi mean in the harmonic oscillation function?

1. Oct 10, 2012 #1
    The function for simple harmonic oscillation is:
    Acos(ωT)+[itex]\phi[/itex]
    Why is there an angle phi added to the function acos(ωT)?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2012 #2
    it's Acos(ωT+ϕ) omega stands for how fast it' s oscilating, but phi determines the initial position( wold be Acosϕ)

4. Oct 10, 2012 #3
    I was reading a book on wave and found that when they derive the equation of shm from the equation force varies with negetive displacement , they had taken a propotionality constant to make the force and displacement equal and they had taken frequency of the shm as the constant . So my question is , is there any derivation which can show that the constant is the frequency of the shm .

5. Oct 10, 2012 #4
    If phi had a value, what would the shm graph look like? Or how would it change from Acos(wT)?

6. Oct 11, 2012 #5
    The graph would change from sine to cosine, (remember, that sin(x+π)=cosx)

7. Oct 11, 2012 #6
    isnt the function already Acos(wT)+phi?

8. Oct 11, 2012 #7
    so how could it change from sine if it doesnt start at sine?

9. Oct 11, 2012 #8
    It never started as cosine, it's allways either sine or cosine or somethin in between. It's like you move the cosine a bit to the right and if you move it by π/2 you get sine! SO all phi determines is the initial position!

10. Oct 12, 2012 #9
    Ok... Thanks! I almost understand.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook