What does this arrow symbol mean?

In summary, the conversation discussed the use of truth tables in a computer science course and the meaning of the notations <--> and -->. The first notation represents a biconditional statement, where both statements must have the same truth value in order for the overall statement to be true. The second notation represents an implication statement, where the truth value of the second statement depends on the truth value of the first statement. The conversation also touched on the concepts of tautology and contradiction, which can be understood by observing the truth tables for different logical statements.
roadrunner
i am doing truth tables in a comp sci course and unsure as to what <--> and --> mean
for example

p-->q boook says p implies q
p<-->q boook says biconditional of two statements

truth table sshown is as folllowes

p w p-->q p<-->q
0 0 1 1
0 1 1 0
1 0 0 0
1 1 1 1

i don't get those two columns because i don't understand what the "-->" and "<-->" notations mean
i think the last one just means that p/q either both have to be truw or both half to be false?

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
For the implification statement, -->, this is the semantic of it:

If P is true, then the proposition is whatever Q is. Else, the proposition is true.

Here is an example : Suppose P is false, then p-->q turns out to be true regardless of what q is.

Suppose P is true and Q is true then p-->q turns out to be true.

Suppose P is true and Q is false then p--q turns out to be false.

And as for p<-->q, yes you are right. Other way of reading that as if you have an odd number of true in your truth table, then the logic is false and if you have even number of true, then logic is true.

ok i get that thanks
the other thing is tautology To
and contradiction's Fo

how do these make sense

p \/ Fo <==>P
p /\ To <==>P

p\/(not)p<==>To
p/\(not)p<==>Fo

p\/(p/\q)<==>p
p/\(p\/q)<==>p

make sense

Last edited:
never miiind i drew tables and get them! :D

damn this crap is confusing!

1. What does the arrow symbol mean?

The arrow symbol is typically used to indicate direction or movement. It can also represent progress, change, or a specific action.

2. What is the origin of the arrow symbol?

The arrow symbol has been used by many cultures and civilizations throughout history. It is believed to have originated in Ancient Greece and has since been used in various forms by many civilizations, including Native American, Egyptian, and Chinese cultures.

3. What are the different types of arrow symbols?

There are many different types of arrow symbols, each with its own meaning. Some common ones include a single arrow pointing to the right, which can represent progress or moving forward, and a double arrow pointing in opposite directions, which can symbolize balance or choice.

4. Does the color of the arrow symbol have a specific meaning?

In some cases, the color of the arrow symbol can have a specific meaning. For example, a green arrow typically indicates something positive or good, while a red arrow may represent something negative or dangerous. However, the meaning of color can vary depending on the context and culture.

5. How is the arrow symbol used in science?

In science, the arrow symbol is often used to represent the direction of a chemical reaction, the flow of energy or electrons, or the movement of particles. It can also be used in diagrams or charts to indicate a process or sequence of events.