What does this sentence mean?

• Thread starter ahmadicabara
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mean
In summary, a pure electric field in one reference frame is observed as a combination of both an electric field and a magnetic field in a moving reference frame. This is because electric and magnetic fields are two aspects of the same thing and appear differently depending on the observer's frame of reference.
ahmadicabara
A pure electric field in one reference frame is observed as a combination of both an electric field and a magnetic field in a moving reference frame. (from wikipedia)

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you think it means?

It means that what looks to a 'stationary' observer as an electric field only looks to a moving observer as a combination of electric and magnetic fields. I guess I just restated exactly what it said lol What part of it don't you understand?

I just don't get it. :d

You need to be more specific than that, seriously dude. Do you understand what an electric field is? Do you understand what a frame of reference is? Do you understand what a magnetic field is?

If you observe an electric field in your frame of reference, somebody in a different frame of reference will observe both an electric field and a magnetic field.

Do you understand that a moving charge produces a magnetic field?

Doc Al said:
Do you understand that a moving charge produces a magnetic field?
Yes. The problem is that I wanted to relate this question to my initial question which was why a movin charge produces both B and E fields whole static charge produce only E field. Can someone help me?

Does it help if I tell you that Electric and Magnetic fields are not two separate things but just different aspects of one thing (Sometimes we call it the Electromagnetic Field)?

What we call a Magnetic field is how this 'thing' appears to us when we are moving fast. What we call an Electric field is how it looks when we are standing still. If we only move slowly, it looks like a mixture of the two.

The 'thing' got two names because nobody realized at first it was the same.

Here's an example illustrating that electric and magnetic fields are two aspects of one thing, as special relativity has taught us: http://galileo.phys.virginia.edu/classes/252/rel_el_mag.html" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

1) What is the best way to interpret this sentence?

The best way to interpret a sentence is to first identify the subject and verb, and then determine the context and any other key words or phrases that may affect the meaning. It can also be helpful to consider the tone and intention of the sentence.

2) Can you provide a literal translation of this sentence?

Providing a literal translation can be helpful in understanding the basic meaning of a sentence, but it may not always capture the full nuance or intended meaning. It's important to also consider the cultural and linguistic context of the sentence.

3) How can I determine the implied meaning of this sentence?

Implied meaning refers to the underlying message or suggestion that a sentence conveys. To determine the implied meaning, it can be helpful to consider the tone, context, and any cultural or societal influences that may affect the interpretation of the sentence.

4) Are there any idiomatic expressions or figures of speech in this sentence?

Idiomatic expressions and figures of speech are phrases or expressions that have a figurative meaning different from their literal interpretation. They can be challenging to understand for non-native speakers or those unfamiliar with the language or culture. It can be helpful to research or consult a native speaker for clarification.

5) Can you provide some examples or context to help me understand this sentence?

Sometimes, a sentence may be difficult to understand on its own. Providing examples or additional context can help to clarify the meaning and intention behind the sentence. It can also be helpful to look for similar sentences or phrases in different contexts to gain a better understanding.